17

"Stop bouncing your knee," Mark scolded as he turned on the right blinker and merged to the right side of the road, he glanced at Avery from the corner of his eye and tried to fight off the smile that was curving up his lips.

"Sorry," she murmured and ran her palms down the silky fabric of her maroon dress. It clung tightly to her hips and down to mid thigh, a thin layer of lace laid at the hem and she began to toy with it, "I'm just nervous. I haven't met his family yet."

Mark reached over and held her hands in his, giving them a comforting squeeze. "They're going to love you, pumpkin. Don't overthink it."

She gave him a tight smile and looked out the window of the mustang, noticing how the houses began to grow further apart and more lavish the further inland they went. The car turned right and in front of her eyes sat an intricate black gate with copper leaves sitting in between beautiful metal vines. Her breath caught in her throat, eyes wide in amazement and disbelief.

Mark rolled down the window and a static noise sounded from a black box beside the car.

"Sommers residence, name please?" Her father turned around with a raised brow while he rolled his eyes, making Avery chuckle softly.

"Avery and Mark Mitchell, we're here to celebrate Thanksgiving with the Sommers." The static went out for a few seconds before the box crackled again.

"Of course, the gates will open in a moment."

They watched in silence as the black gates slowly began to open inward, the car moving forward gently as they took in their surroundings. Incredible willow trees lined the entire gravel road that led towards the beautiful three-story colonial house in front of them, fairy lights wound up the trunks of every other tree they passed.

"Well shit," Mark whispered beside her as he leaned forward and stared up at the cream colored mansion, slowly bringing the car to a stop beside the fountain in the circular driveway. The water cascaded around beautiful cherubs that looked to be flying around a woman wearing intricate drapes, the lights inside the fountain making small diamonds gleam against the flowing streams.

Avery sat motionless as she let her eyes wander over the white pillars that sat holding a balcony on the second floor, the wooden double doors, the floor to cealing windows. She hadn't even realized that Mark had exited the car and opened up her door until he placed his hand on her shoulder.

"You okay?" He asked and she nodded meekly, using her father for support as she climbed out of the car. She adjusted the straps of her dress and tried to keep her balance in the black heels she was wearing, not wanting to trip and fall and completely embarrass herself.

Mark leaned into the car and pulled out the two blueberry pies that they had baked earlier that day, closing the door behind him and using his free hand to nudge her forward. They climbed up the white stone steps together, Avery trying to stretch out the time as much as she could. Except her father was having none of it, shooting her an exasperated look over his shoulder.

When they stood in front of the giant oak doors, she held her breath. The next few seconds were agony, watching as Mark raised his finger and pushed the doorbell, hearing the commotion from the other side.

She'd seen Madison's car in the driveway and then heard her voice call from the other side of the door.

"I'll get it! Don't let him see her yet!" There was a short pause, "I don't care, keep him away!" The door opened seconds later and Madison stood there in all her beautiful blonde glory, an olive skater dress and gold heels with her hair up in an immaculate ponytail. Her red lips split into a grin and her arms flung themselves around Avery's frame, knocking her back a few feet.