Epilogue

//

//

June 17th, 1985

Months have passed, John and Margo were now impossibly close. Of course, Margo would never listen to her mom about staying away from John. They knew each other more than they did before and to them, that was everything. John knew the girl's home life and understood why she wanted to leave immediately. They made plans to leave together a day after graduation. How they would get a car, make enough money to keep traveling if they had to, Margo to get custody of Nancy behind her mom and step dad's back, but of all things, one question remained:

Where would they go?

It didn't matter to them as long as it was away from Shermer, Illinois.

But they had help from Claire, money wise. She bought the car, and apparently, her dad never questioned her motives. And Claire sold her earrings and other jewelry to give Margo money. Call it, childhood best friends way of forgiveness. Claire just made Margo promise to find each other in the future so they could take that trip to Paris and Hawaii.

When Margo turned 18, she got custody of Nancy by proving her mom and step-dad as unfit parents. She worked two jobs as a waitress and then, a ticket booth girl at an arena. John didn't get a job but sold a lot of his weed.

It felt forever until the too would get any freedom of their abusive parents, but then...

Then, the night finally came.

A week later, in the middle of the night, John packed up Margo's car. Margo snuck out herself and Nancy through the window so they wouldn't awaken her parents. But she crawled back in. She took out a can of blue spray paint and painted her mom's door with-

U BLOW -M

John thought she was crazy (even for him), but that's what he loved about her.

They made a quick stop to Claire's home, she left a note to Claire's dad about him needing to pay attention to his daughter. Then, she snuck in. She didn't trash or take anything, but in Claire's living-room she spray painted two words.

THANK U -M 

She left the same trademark at Andy's house (trashing his dad's car), Brain's house (breaking his mom's car windshield and why she needs to stop being a bitch to Brian), then Allison's house (leaving a pile of random stuff in the same bag she took...

She left the same trademark at Andy's house (trashing his dad's car), Brain's house (breaking his mom's car windshield and why she needs to stop being a bitch to Brian), then Allison's house (leaving a pile of random stuff in the same bag she took to detention).

Last, but least...Dick Vernon.

To say, Margo and John weren't a fan of Vernon, was like saying alligators are animals you can pet. Leaving her iconic first initial on the front of his house before John and Margo toilet-papering his home since he was sleeping.

Then, they were off. By the time it was 11:46 PM, John was closer and closer from driving to the edge of Shermer. Nancy was asleep in the back, but Margo was restless.

She finally felt free and like an adult who can now make her own choices.

Once they had left that town, Margo had stuck her head out the window, glancing back at the town lights as her hair whipped all around her face. The town was gone behind her and will be gone from her memories for years and years, but she never forgot how she met John and became friends with unlikely people when they dubbed themselves the Breakfast Club.

Margo finally pulled her head back in the car, rolling up the window before sitting back in her seat.

"You all right, M?" John questioned.

Margo looked at him. "Yeah," she answered, laughing. "I'm amazing."

John took a quick glance at her before chuckling to himself. "You know, you're crazy. Even for me."

"Yeah, but that's why you love me, right?"

John nodded, sarcastically. "Yeah, we'll go with that. It could be just for the fact that I wanted you for your hot body."

Margo scoffed, but grinned, "If that's how you feel, then ditto."

John held a hand up to his chest. "Ow, I'm hurt," he faked.

"Shut up and keep your eyes on the road," she replied.

With that, they drove and didn't stop for 300 miles. These this artist and criminal drove to Indiana, now living there. For a while, their lives were tough. Balancing parenting with Nancy and working steady, good-paying jobs. Shortly, Margo and John got hitched and she squeezed out two puppies a year later. And no, she was not fat. Life was difficult. But they pushed through it like they always did.

And they always will.

Dear Mr. Vernon,

We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever was we did wrong. What we did was wrong, but we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us. In the simplest terms. The most convenient definitions.

But what we found out is that each one of is a brain...

and an athlete...

and a basket case...

a princess...

an artist...

and a criminal.

Does that answer your question?

Sincerely yours,
the Breakfast Club