Chapter 8

ETHANS POV:

My mum has cancer.. I told my mum not to smoke, but she couldn't stop. That explains the lung cancer, but brain cancer? I've cried enough tears to fill an ocean, and my head hurts like crazy. I didn't even notice that Paisley was here with me the entire time, stroking my back and hair as I cried. She's so gentle I didn't even realise she was even here.

Now I'm sitting in Paisley's lap on the floor in the corner of the room. She's stroking my hair and wiping away the tears that are silently making their way down my face. My eyes are puffy, and I look like a mess. "It's okay, everything's going to me okay." Paisley keeps whispering in my ear. She has a way of making me feel better, even when all I can think about is the bad stuff.

"It's okay, I'm here for you, cry it out, I'm here. I love you." Paisley whispers as she kisses my cheek from behind.

"I love you, baby... And I'm sorry you have to be here to see me like this."

PAISLEYS POV:

We were both just sitting down by the wall when a nurse comes in.

"I'm really sorry, I wish I didn't have to make you leave, but the visiting hours are over. We are required by law to make you leave now. We are going to start Mrs Karpathy's treatment tomorrow morning, but you can come back tomorrow evening from 7-9 if you would like." the nurse tells us, you could tell she really felt sorry.

"Thank you."

When the nurse walks out, I stand up but Ethan doesn't follow me. He just sits there against the wall, staring forward at nothing.

"Baby, we gotta go now." I say in in what I hope is a soothing voice. He still doesn't move.

"Baby.. She's okay here with the hospital. Nothing bad will happen to her, I promise." I tell him. He doesn't move an inch, so I kneel down in front of him.

"C'mon, baby, if you come with me now, you can sleep in my bed with me tonight and I'll give you lots of kisses to cheer you up." I tell him, hoping this would work. He looks at me with eyes that tell me he is sad, because they are filled with tears, but they aren't falling, just gathering at the bottom of his eyes.

I grab his hand and he reluctantly stands up. I pick up his beanie and put it on his head for him. I knew those promised kisses would work. We walk out the front and find mum in her car. I guess she knew when visiting hours finished, or maybe she's been here the entire time, just in case. We get in the car and put on our seat belts.

"Ethan, I am so sorry. You can stay with us until she gets better. I promise you she will get better, okay?" Mum tells him. Ethan just nods and smiles a half hearted smile as a thank you.

We drive home and since it is 10:00, mum decides to go to bed. "Do you two want to get some mattresses, pillows and blankets and sleep down here in the living room tonight? I have to work tomorrow, but you two can have the day off from school if you want." my mum tells us.

"Thank you, mum." I say to her. She comes up to both of us and gives us both a hug, then she disappears upstairs to her room.

"You just stay here and I'll go get the stuff." I tell Ethan but he shakes his head. We both go upstairs to the hallway cupboard and grab the double mattress, four fluffy pillows and a giant fluffy blanket before dragging it all down the stairs and putting it on the floor in front of the couches.

We drop the blanket over the mattress, and Ethan falls over on top of it in the process. He just lies there and doesn't move. Usually, I would laugh, but this time it's not funny at all. I just drape the blanket over him and lift up his head so I can put some of the pillows under him. I take off his and my shoes, then slide under the blanket next to him. I think I'm going to be the guy in this relationship tonight. Most people would say that it's really stupid and that Ethan should just grow up, but I don't. I know what it's like to lose someone really close to me. Ethan is the first ever guy I have felt like this towards, and knowing about him having sensitive side as well, is a massive turn on.