Prologue: Gateway To Insanity

It was the night after Izuku Midoriya was told he would never have a Quirk.

He sat at the computer, watching the clip of his favorite superhero, Allmight, rescue innocent people over and over again.

"Quirkless." He thought to himself, teeth worrying his lower lip. The thought almost brought tears to his eyes. Almost.

"Mom," the child said aloud, still staring at the screen, "D'you think I can be a hero too?"

His mother said nothing. The boy could hear her strangled gasp as she tried told back tears. Eventually, she responded. "I- I'm sorry, Izuku," she choked out, before fleeing the room.

He clenched his jaw, tears only now coming to his eyes, but not for the reason one might think. They were tears of anger and frustration, not sadness. Anger at his mother for not even making an attempt at consolation. Frustration at his own body's incapability to inhabit a Quirk, something that should be in his DNA from the get-go; both his parents had Quirks, so why not him?

He pushed the thoughts away. Feeling like this was unproductive.

He hit the replay button on his screen again. He could still be part of the hero community. Even without a Quirk. Even without actually participating in battles.

He squeezed his Allmight figurine, a huge smile spreading across his face, eliminating any hints that he had been upset just moments ago. Yes, he would be content just observing and collecting things related to heroes and villains.

And hell, if one day he does end up in the thick of things, well... Who was he to back down from a challenge?

~*~*~*~
A/N: Deku's intelligence in this stems from the theory that he actually DOES have a Quirk. A mental Quirk. Of course, this fact might not actually be addressed within the story, but just keep that in mind for when he reacts differently than other hormonal teens would in certain situations. I mean that's one reason. The other reason is because he's a fucking psychopath, but that's a given.