Chapter 3

"Can you just open the door?" his voice drifted through the phone.

I swallowed hard and pressed my lips together, my eyes wide. What if they were out in the living room?

"Hello?" Trevon's voice echoed through the phone once more.

"Hi... I... uh..." I pressed my ear to my bedroom door, listening to the light hum of the refrigerator in the kitchen. There wasn't any talking. Maybe, they weren't here. I blew out a deep breath. "...give me a second..."

Throwing my phone on the bed, I peeked my head out of the door, gazing down the empty hallway. My feet made small pitter patters as I tiptoed to the kitchen. A sigh of relief escaped my lips, noticing the emptiness in the foyer.

I checked through hole in the door, gazing out at Trevon's figure. I didn't need this to be some sort of prank or something and have Eros popping out of nowhere, especially in front of him. Once I felt as if the coast was clear, I yanked opened the door, wrapped my hand around Trevon's wrist, and pulled him inside.

"What the hell?" he asked, stumbling forward. I released his hand and slammed the door shut, leaning my back against it and looking up at Trevon who'd regained his balance.

"Sorry," I mumbled.

"Is everything okay, babe?" His head tilted to the side as he eyed me. I licked my lips nervously, nodding my head, and walked by him, pulling him into my room. "I don't think so. You haven't returned any of my calls or texts for the past few days."

"I've just been busy with school and stuff..."

His brows furrowed. "I know when you're lying."

I parted my lips to speak but closed them. What was I going to say? That a guy just moved in who has the hots for me? No. No way would I do that to Trevon. He'd flip out. What would I say then? "I... I just haven't been getting much sleep lately."

It was true. The past three nights, I've just been tossing and turning, my mind replaying my interaction with Eros over and over and over again. The thought wouldn't leave me alone. I hadn't seen him since Sunday, but he wouldn't leave my mind. And, it was getting too damn frustrating.

Thankfully, Trevon nodded, accepting my words, and laid down on the bed. His hands snaked around my waist and he pulled me next to him. He took my hand in his and lightly traced my fingertips.

My eyes fluttered closed. Hopefully, I would actually get some sleep tonight next to Trevon. I cuddled into the crook of his arm, laying my head against his. He chuckled, a smile spreading across his face.

After a few moments of listening to his deep breathing, the corners of my lips curled up. He'd always made me feel comfortable. He was sweet and caring and-

"So, when were you going to tell me that you got new neighbors?" he asked, still playing with my fingers.

My eyes shot opened, my heart racing.

When did he find out about that? Oh, god. Did he know?

"I...uh..." Don't stutter, Dani! It'll make you seem like you were hiding something. I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't care much for them. They're annoying."

"Oh, so you've met them?"

"Just once. Maria brought them over," I answered. Eros was definitely over just once, but it seemed like he was here every single sleepless night with me. "How... how'd you know about them?"

"I met one of them out in the hall."

My heart raced faster than it did before. Please don't tell me you met Eros. Please don't tell me you met Eros.