The last words

A/n: play the video in the background, really adds to the aesthetic.

I flip my lighter on and light my cigarette.

Y/n: *sigh* "I suppose you wanna know how a respected huntsman becomes a murderer... well I'm sure you'd do it too if you watched your wife die in front of you, and for what? Some stupid power she inherited."
I look down at my pistol, now resting on the bar.

Y/n: "it wasn't always like this y'know. A long time ago my pistol was pristine, gleaming with hope and justice... but justice don't save your family from the evils of this world. S'pose you wanna know how this all started then. Maybe you need a refresher course? Well, it began 3 years ago, on my ranch."

*flashback*

Our troubles started around... 6pm? See, I was doing my usual drive across the fields, ensuring all our cattle were present and accounted for before we finished the days toil. I was returning on my bike,

'the Gray Hornet' Clover used to call it

'the Gray Hornet' Clover used to call it. Clover... that's my wife by the way incase you forgot her name, which I wouldn't hold against you, I drink so much these days I can barely remember what she looks like... my own fault really, I just wanna quell the pain, but I digress. I had parked up my bike, and I could see Clover there on the porch waiting for me, leaning on the wooden railing.

She waved gently to me as I walked up the steps
Clover: "how we doin'?"

Y/n: "all good tonight, that damn bull still keeps sizing me up to charge."

Clover: "well..." she wrapped her hands around my waist and smiled "you'll just have to be faster hunny."

I embraced her tightly
Y/n: "heh, now you of all people should know I like to take ma time~"

Clover: "I do... which is what I need to talk to you about."

Y/n: "what? I have noticed you've been smiling all day, and it's not my birthday, it's not yours either so... are you?"

She couldn't hold it in anymore and she beamed a smile that I'll never forget, it was her way of telling me I was gon' be a father. I hollered so loud I bet they would'a heard me all the way in Haven! I remember spinn' her around, the bliss of the moment overcoming us both. My memory goes a mite hazy from there, but I think we sat and had dinner, she called her folks, and I poured myself a glass of whiskey and sauntered down to my favourite spot, the gate to the animal pens. Best place to watch the sunset just over the hills.

Leaning on the front gate, a glass of whiskey in my hand, watching the cattle graze on the pastures, life couldn't been more perfect, and in that moment I sighed happily and sipped from my glass. I remember... lookin' at my glass, the sunset pushing it's rays through... and there being a figure on the horizon. I looked up and saw them. Long blade at their side in a large sheathe, long black hair and a mask that put the fear of Oum into me... then another figure, and another, and another, until the horizon became a wash of faceless figures!

Y/n: "oh no... Clover! We're under attack!" I began sprintin' toward the house, pulling out my pistol and ducking behind my old arm chair. As I looked over the chair to watch my enemies draw nearer, I noticed the first figure wasn't runnin' just calmly walked toward the gate, and headin' up the drive. I shot the first bandit to come near the porch, using that as my exit I started running towards the door, only to be stopped by a man with a knife, I blocked his arm with my wrist, and fired a three round burst up along his neck to his head. I kicked his body toward more incoming and knocked them to the ground. I looked up to see the figure getting closer, long red clothing and the mask was multi sectioned and bone white. I ran inside to find Clover terrified

Clover: "what's goin' on?!"

Y/n: "I don't rightly know, but I doubt they'll take surrender as an option. Guess I'll just have to use old faithful... stay safe and I'll-" I was interrupted by a bandit kicking the front door in "*sigh... hold that thought."

I stood up and raised my gun in the air, summoning my light

1 shot, 1 kill. A second and third jumped through the window smashing it, two more down. I turned to Clover
"As I was saying, I'll be right back. Get hidden!"

Clover: "but I could help!"

Y/n: "you sure you got it figured out now?"

Her eyes began giving off a brilliant white light, before it slowly changed to red.
Clover: "let's find out!" She slammed her hand down onto the wooden floor and brought up an enormous long sword from out of no where made of rock and branches "now let's kick some ass."

I smiled at her as she rested her weapon on her shoulder
Y/n: "that's my girl."

I kicked a bandit in the face and pushed through the doorway, followed closely by Clo... I wish I could say we fought bravely, I wish I could say I'm proud of her... but I don't remember any of it... I remember what happened afterwards though... the bandits retreated over the hill. I was panting frantically from the battle

Y/n: "phew, hehehe that was intense! But we did it! Good work Clo... Clo? CLOVER!"

I turn to see her slumped on her knees, a long thin blade pushed through her chest, behind her stood that same woman with long hair, red armoured clothing... and a white mask.

???: "she never deserved this power anyway." The woman ripped her blade from her and she fell to the dirt. I scrambled over to Clover, not really caring for my own life. I cradled her head.

Y/n: "was... was that what this was all for?! You killed her because you wanted the maidens power?! You monster! She was my wife! She... she was pregnant." I collapsed onto her body sobbing, not wanting to leave her side even if it meant my own death...

Y/n: "Who are you? TELL ME THE NAME OF THE MONSTER WHO DID THIS!"

???: "...my name is Raven Branwen."

Y/n: "Then I know who must die."

Raven: "Good luck."

*end of flashback*

I down the rest of my whiskey and turn on the stool

Y/n: "and of course you know the rest. I left the ranch and swore I'd kill Raven... lead after lead I followed, asking question after question... until finally I'm lead to this lil' ol' mud ball in the middle of nowhere. So, this is where it ends between you n' me. You ready Raven?"

The bitch had been followin' me as I had been lookin' for her across the continent. She looked at me from the saloon doors and removed her helmet, throwing it on to one of the tables. I placed my Stetson back on my head and stood up.

Raven: "...let's settle this."