can't lose you- e.c.

you and elton had been dating for 18 months and the two of you couldn't be more perfect for each other. you both loved scary things, you both loved to travel, and you both loved to step outside of your comfort zones. despite this, however, the two of you had been continuously growing apart for quite some time. elton seemed to always be away, and you were getting tired of sleeping alone at night. elton was coming home for the weekend and you decided that you were going to tell him that you thought that it would be best for the relationship if the two of you took a break.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
you were sitting in the kitchen when you heard the door open and shut. you knew what that sound meant; elton was home. instead of feeling the happiness that usually came with eltons return, you felt a strong sense of fear and anxiety. for a moment, you started to feel bad for elton. you knew that he was going to be tired, but you also understood that you absolutely needed to tell him that you needed a break. you had already packed up all of your stuff and put it in your car so you could quickly and quietly leave after breaking things off with elton; after all, this was his house. you stood up and walked out of the kitchen when you heard elton call your name. "y/n!" he said when he saw you in the hallway. "hey baby! i've missed you so much!" elton pulled you into a hug and kissed you. "hey elton", you replied, thinking about how this would be the last time that elton kissed you. "i need to talk to you about something", you told him, grabbing his hand and walking to the living room. you sat on the couch with him and folded your legs underneath you. "what's up?" he asked you, his eyebrows raising, concern passing over his face. you looked at him, tears developing in your eyes. "elton, i think that we need to take a break. it seems like all you ever do is leave me here by myself and if i'm being honest elton, im done. i can't do this anymore. i love you but i think that we need to take a break from us." elton just looked at you, tears falling down his cheeks. "no, please. i can't lose you. not now. not now. not now." elton whispered, barely audible over the sound of the a/c unit in the house. "i'm sorry elton, but i have to. i can't live like this anymore." you stood up and kissed him on the cheek. "goodbye elton" you said as you walked out of the house, getting into your car and driving away. you didn't know where you were going to go or what you were going to do, you just knew that you would be better off without him. you knew you loved him, and you knew he loved you, but you promised yourself better. you pulled off to the side of the road, tears once again welling in your eyes, and sobbed. it was hard, yes, but you knew that you would get through it. you knew that you would come out a stronger, happier person, and for that, you were excited.