Chapter four

Max's POV

I leave Preston asleep so he doesn't yell at me again. I slept in late. At least I'm alive. I sit down next to David and someone that looks similar to him. I look down.

"Hey Max," David says. I look up and give a fake smile.

"My name is Daniel," the guy says. I nod.

"Max," I reply. He smiles. I take a few small bites and stop. I have to eat slowly or I choke. The other kids file in. Gwen stomps up. She looks tired. Better not bother her today. Preston walks up.

"Hey Max, would you like to sit with me and my friends?" he asks. Before I can answer, David does.

"Go on Max. It's about time you make friends."

I stand up and slowly follow Preston to a table where the two magic kids are. Preston pulls me down next to him.

Preston's POV

I already told Harrison and Nerris about what I read about Max.

"How come you invited me over here?" Max asks in a small voice. Aww, so adorable.

"Because you need friends," I snap.

"I don't want friends if they call me names," he mumbles. He stands up and leaves the mess hall.

Max's POV

I go to the tent and grab my notebook and pen. I go to my hiding place and start to draw. I fall asleep before I can see the finished picture.

Preston's POV

David walks up and asks me to go find Max. I bring Harrison and Nerris with me. We walk into the forest and call Max's name. We find a well hidden spot and find a sleeping Max with the notebook on his lap.