Chapter six: Parent's day

Preston's POV

Gwen walks up and drops the bear onto my lap.

"There ya go kid," she says before walking over to David and Daniel. I run outside and go to the docks. I cover my mouth as I look at Max. He has so many bruises and scars littering his body. I sit down next to him.

"Hey Max, I'm sorry for hurting your bear and I had Gwen fix it for you," he looks up at me. I hand him his bear. He smiles and hugs me and the bear.

"Thank you for fixing Mr. Honeynuts," he says, happily. I chuckle at him. He pulls away and puts his dress back on. It's stained and a little damp. Max must have tried to clean it. We walk back to the mess hall. Max is hugging his bear close to him. We sit down.

Max's POV

I look down as Preston talks to his friends.

"Alright kids, I have some big news," David calls out. We all look at him.

"Tomorrow is parents day," he says. I feel my heart drop. Preston grabs my hand. I look at him.

"You alright?" he asks. I give a fake smile and nod. He nods too and goes back to talking to his friends. After we finish eating, it's time for bed.

I wake up early, and I hide Mr. Honeynuts under the bed in the back so no one can find it. Preston soon wakes up. I put the dress on that I wore yesterday. It's comfortable. Everyone goes outside their tents. Mommy and Daddy arrive about when half the parents have arrived. I run up to them and hold my arms open for a hug. Daddy puts a hand to my forehead and pushes me back. I frown and drop my arms.

"We told you not to get that dirty!" Mommy screams in my face. I start to tear up. Daddy's palm hits my cheek and knocks me to the ground. I can't hold the tears back anymore. I start to cry as I hold my cheek in pain. Mommy's foot connects with my chest. They starts hitting me with their feet. One of their feet connects with my face a few times. My nose starts bleeding and I cough up a little bit of blood and it starts to trail from the corner of my mouth. Daddy grabs my hair and throws me into the trunk of the car. I put my hand in the way of the door as it slams down. I hear the bone snap and I scream. The door opens and my hand is pushed away and the door slams closed.

Preston's POV

Erid's parents run up to Max's parents and slams them against their car, handcuffing them. David and I run up to the trunk of the car and open it. Max looks up at us with tears flowing down his face. He's cradling his hand. David picks him up from under his arms and sets him on the ground. He looks at his parents and runs up to them.

"Let Mommy and Daddy go," he says to Erid's parents. The two men look at him.

"Listen kid, they are going to be sent away for child abuse. You won't see them again," one of them says.

"But that's how Mommy and Daddy show love. They said that's how all Mommies and Daddies are," Max replies. David walks up to him and pulls him away from the adults. They come back over to me. Max is crying. I hug him. Grandma walks up to us. She smiles and we walk to the mess hall for something to eat and to eat cake. Max just looks down at his tray, not eating.

"Hey Max, you need to eat something," I say softly. He looks up at me.

"I'm not hungry," he replies. I sigh and get a spoonful of the potatoes on his tray. I hold the spoon in front of his mouth. He sighs and reaches for the spoon. I smack his hand away and hold it in front of his mouth again. He lets me spoon feed him.