Chapter five: Drawings and dresses

Drawing above is max's. don't know the original drawer who drew it.

Preston's POV

Max is a very good artist. He moves around in his sleep a bit. He whimpers. I grab his shoulder and he snaps awake while breathing quickly. He looks at me and tries backing away. I put both my hands on his shoulders, holding him in place. He looks away and tenses up.

"Let's get back to camp," I say. Nerris and Harrison leave. I pull Max to his feet and bring him back to camp. He doesn't look at me, and he clutches the notebook to his chest. He goes to the tent. I follow him.

"Hey Max, I'm going to show David and Gwen your drawing," I say.

"Don't look at anything else in it please," he replies. I grab the notebook from him and run to David.

"There's something wrong at Max's house," I say as I show David the writing. He reads it.

"I'll talk to him later about it. Why don't you go try to become friends with him?" David suggests. I sigh and nod. I go back to the tent and see Max hide something behind his back. I set the notebook on the table and walk up to him.

"What are you hiding?" I ask. He looks down and holds out something pink to me. I hold it out to see it's a pink dress.

"What the hell are you doing with a girl's clothing item?" I ask.

"Mommy and Daddy said I could bring it to wear. Just as long as it didn't get dirty," Max says quietly.

"Then why don't you wear it?" I ask.

"Because you and everyone else will call me names," he whispers. I smile.

"You should wear it," I say. He looks at me.

"Really?" he asks as he smiles. I nod. His eyes light up. He makes me turn around as he changes. After a little bit, Max hugs me. I turn around to see that he's wearing the dress. I blush as I look him up and down. He grabs my wrist and lead me out of the tent.

"Hey Max, you go ahead and go to the mess hall, I have to do something," I say. He nods and runs off. I grab the pieces of his bear and go to find Gwen. She looks at me and scoffs.

"Gwen, do you think you can sew this for me?" I ask as I hold the bear out. She sighs and nods.

"It's Max's," I say before running to the mess hall. Max is sitting next to David. I walk over and grab Max's wrist, pulling him to my table. We sit down. Harrison and Nerris are snickering. Max looks down.

Max's POV

Preston talks to the two kids. I over hear their names are Nerris and Harrison. I feel something wet fall onto my head. I look down to see a purple liquid start staining my dress. Tears well up in my eyes. I run out of the mess hall as people laugh. I go to the lake and take the dress off. The cloth around my top part of my torso and my boxers is all I have on. I put my dress in the water and try to get the purple out. Hopefully no one comes by or they will see my scars Mommy and Daddy gave me. I start to cry as I hold the dress up. It's stained.

I set it on the dock next to me to dry it out. I look over the water and wipe my tears away. Mommy and Daddy said I had to wear it when they came to pick me up. They said if it was dirty then they will be angry. When they're angry, they show me 'love'. It hurts when they do that.