March 2nd, 1958

George's Pov:

"The marriage is off," Paul said, taking a long drag from his cigarette and slowly blowing out the smoke.

"Good for you!" John said, putting his arm around Paul and shaking him.

I was confused, "What do you mean it's off?" I asked.

"Well, since she's not going to have the baby, we're not going to get married or live together...simple," Paul said, obviously relieved. John just sat there, smirking, drinking his beer.

I rolled my eyes at how shallow the both of them were acting. I was appalled.

Calling off a marriage!?

"Did Dot even agree to this?" I asked, still very confused.

"Eh," Paul said, picking up his bottle of beer, "Not really..."

I scoffed and watched Paul drink his beer quickly, "You're so selfish..."

"And who are you to say?" He blurt out, trying to act superior.

"You just call off the wedding just because she's not having the baby! I mean, that's pretty self-centered, and more so when she didn't even agree to it."

"What's the point in marrying her if I don't have a reason to?" He sneered.

I just put my hands up in pure bewilderment, "You marry someone because you love them, Paul! Not just because it's the 'right thing to do.'" I said with air quotes.

"What are you saying boy?" He asked, mocking me as if I was so much younger than him, "What would you do if you got Diana pregnant? Huh? You'd be scared half to death! You wouldn't want to marry her either!"

I saw some people around the pub look at us while we were yelling.

"Of course I would want to marry her!" I spat out, "I want to marry her anyway! I do love her, y'know! Isn't that what dating is about? Hopefully finding sometime to marry someday? I don't even think you love Dot!"

I kept waiting for John to bardge into the conversation, but he didn't. He just sat there smoking his cigarette and drinking his beer, clearly entertained by Paul and I's arguing.

Paul didn't know what to say.

I puffed out a cloud of smoke. Since Diana wasn't here yet, I had a cig quickly. She was supposed to meet us here in a few.

He opened his mouth ajar once and then closed it.

"Huh, boy?" I exclaimed, mocking him.

"You don't even know what love is," Paul muttered out, unable to think of a comeback.

"Yes I do! And I know it much better than you!" I said pointing, "I know that I wouldn't walk away from Diana if she told me she was pregnant like you did with Dot! You just let Dot walk right out of the house crying on Christmas while you were practically shitting your pants by how scared you were!"

"Can I have another beer over here!" John yelled to the bartender.

I glared at him.

"What?" He shrugged.

I just rolled my eyes and got up from my seat and headed for the door.

"Whoa, George," I bumped into Diana as she finally walked in, "Where you going?"

"Anywhere but here," I mumbled, walking out, still taking drags on my cigarette. I was annoyed out of my mind that I needed to be smoking that cigarette, it was calming. I didn't care that Diana didn't like it.

I began to walk down the sidewalk and Diana followed behind me.

"What happened, and why are you smoking?" She asked, attemting to take the cigarette out of my mouth.

I jerked my head away, not letting her take it.

"Come on George," she said, trying to take it again.

"Just let me smoke the damn cigarette!" I snapped.

Diana was quickly taken aback and stepped away from me a bit.

"I'm sorry..." I mumbled, "Your brother is just being a complete ass."

"How so?" She asked quietly.

"He's being so selfish. He called the marriage off, without Dot's agreement and he's trying to tell me that I don't know what love is!"

"Oh..." she mumbled.

"Don't you think I know what love is?" I said, quieting down my tone.

"Of course I do," she replied.

"So why is Paul so...ugh! I don't even know how to put it..."

"Look Georgie. He was so set on marrying Dot to just make things 'right.' He wasn't marrying her out of love or anything else. It's just stupid how some men think..." she muttered.

"I don't," I said, putting my arm around her.

"How's that?" She asked, lighting up a little.

"I would marry someone because I loved them. Not for any stupid reason. Love is love."

"Who would you want to marry?" She asked, a bit sarcastically.

"You of course," I said, looking down at her, "And you?"

"You," she replied, nuzzling into my shoulder.

I smiled happily.

"But only if you stop smoking," she exclamied, quickly taking my cigarette and stomping it on the ground.

I sighed, "Anything for you."

-
-
-
...blah😬😬😬