ONE: Dying? Walk It Off

Alyssa Shields had a most severe case of senioritis.

Tapping her pencil restlessly against the desk, all she could think about was graduating and leaving the dreadful high school in a couple of months. It was only April though, so for now, she'd just have to settle for the bell at 3:00 signaling the end of the day.

What time is it anyways? Quickly, she glanced at the watch on her wrist.

8:30 A.M.

Alyssa's chin slumped into her hand. Distantly, she could hear Mr. Crawford droning on and on about sentence diagramming, but inwardly, she was already checked out.

"Why'd I come today again?" She thought to herself. "It certainly wasn't to learn bull about diagramming a sentence. I can speak perfectly fine without doing all of that. Wouldn't it be better for everyone if we just left words how they were?"

As Alyssa sat at her desk bored out of her mind, she wished she was anywhere else in the city of Chicago besides Glenbrook North.

With that being said, the call that she was about to receive, orchestrated by the one and only Ferris Bueller, was going to save her entire day.

• • • •

"Hello?"

"Cameron, babe, what's happening?"

Ferris Bueller had to be the most smooth-talking kid in school. Either that, or his parents were just complete fools. How else would you explain his 8 (newly 9) unexcused absences? The boy definitely had a talent for trouble.

Kicked back outside in his bathing suit with an iced tea in one hand and the house phone up to his ear in the other, he spoke to his best friend, Cameron, who was genuinely sick. In fact, while Ferris tanned in the sun with a carefree attitude, Cameron was at home, dying under a queen-sized comforter in bed.

"Very little." Cameron said in a monotone, staring at the bedroom ceiling.

"How do you feel?"

"Shredded."

"Is your mother in the room?" Ferris asked hesitantly.

"She's in Decatur," Cameron managed miserably. "Unfortunately, she's not staying." His face scrunched up in confusion as he turned to where the phone sat. "Where are you?"

A smile played on Ferris' lips as he responded into the phone.

"I'm taking the day off. Now get dressed and come on over."

"I can't, stupid, I'm sick." Ferris could practically hear the eye roll in his best friend's voice. He scoffed into the phone.

"That's all in your head, come on over."

"I feel like complete shit, Ferris," Cameron said tiredly. "I can't go anywhere."

"I'm sorry to hear that." Ferris rolled his eyes. "Now come on over and pick me up!" He angrily hung up the phone, but after sipping his iced tea, picked the phone back up and redialed Cameron's number.

"You're not dying. You just can't think of anything good to do." Ferris stated this in a nicer tone and then hung up a second time.

Irritated, he turned to the camera.

"If anybody needs a day off, it's Cameron. He has a lot of things to sort out before he graduates." Ferris picked at his nails and frowned. "You can't be wound up this tight and go to college. His roommate'll kill him. Pardon my French," Ferris said, waving his hand, "but Cameron is so tight, that if you stuck a lump of coal up his ass, in two weeks you'd have a diamond."