Revive Her

Chapter 16

Zara woke up to the sound of a heart monitor. Melanie's hospital room door was open and accessible.

I couldn't believe it...

Zara thought to herself. She couldn't stand this anymore. She needed her to wake up. To be with her again. She needed her here. She needed to witness her mesmerizing chocolate orbs again. She needed to feel her smooth, creamy skin-so youthfully firm and pigmented to the perfect saturation. That beautiful smile on her face. She needed to feel the warmth of her chocolate skin again.

Never in Zara's life have she had someone to set her straight, put her in her place. Her mother loved her through everything, her father didn't pay much mind to anything she engaged in unless it reflected onto him. She's never been held to anything important in her life before. She's hardly taken any accountability, not for her actions, not their consequences, not even for what she did to women. She realized, with her money and status, despite how she preached about people letting it be their get out of jail free card, she had ignorantly been getting through her life under that same umbrella shadowing her from the harsh reality of life, and it unraveled a chain of cause and effect. Now, for the first time in Zara's existence, she feels responsible for everything.

For even loving Melanie... knowing certain people would not approve. People like her father. Her father!

Zara darted up out of her seat and searched franticly around for her phone.

"Oh! Sweetie-

"Mom!" Zara reached for her mother as she abruptly walked in. "Let me use your phone. Where's dad?"

"I got here as fast as I could. Your father is outside on the phone.

A Few Hours Earlier

Hendrix dialed the number for the third time. Someone picked up but said nothing...

"...did you do it yet?"

"No but I'm in the middle of it."

"Well, I'm having second thoughts. I don't think you should do it anymore. Just forget about it."

"No can do boss. However this ends-that's the way the cookie crumbled."

"Alright but don't kill her. I-I just want to make that clear that it's not -

The called dropped and Hendrix stood finally facing the cruelty of his actions driven by selfishness.

A few more hours later he realized the severity of what he's done. He watched his wife take a call from their panicked daughter and they rushed to where she was. He stayed on the lower level to have a private phone call.

"What man?"

"What did you do?!" He whispered angrily into the speaker of his cell phone.

"I did what you paid me to do! You wanted me to get rid of her! I got rid of her! This number will not reach me the next time you try to call." The line went dead, Hendrix threw his cell in frustration. "Shit!" He exclaimed. He scurried upstairs to see what was unraveling.