Chapter 3:

--Reader's POV--

Stupid.
Alarm.
You woke with a start to it's endless beeping.
4:00...good...
You were determined to make it to work an hour early today. If you made it there first you'd get counter duty and one of your friends would have to work in the back. You didn't mind lifting the boxes and shelving books but you were concerned about being stuck in the back of the store where no one could see you if he returned...
You were on the bus by 4:30, having ran to the bus stop.
The store wasn't even open when you got there and you had to dig out your work key.
The building was still dark and just standing in the doorway dread overtook you like a wave.
You flicked all the lights on first, avoiding the storage room and heading straight to the counter. Hannah's car pulled into the parking lot and you smirked, jumping over the counter and taking position behind a register.
Tyler got out of the passenger seat and you scowled.
That's how they get here so early... they teamed up against me!
Tyler was first to walk into the store, laughing and running to the other register when Hannah walked in.
"What? How are you here so early!?" She trudged to the coat hangers, hanging up her fluffy black coat.
You giggled.
"I was just determined to get here first I guess..."
She sighed and glanced at Tyler.
"Guess i'm in the back then?"
"Yep." Tyler and you shared an amused glance before Hannah trudged to the back of the store.
Around noon the traffic in the store picked up, after all, it was a friday. The store was also located next to a library, two large dark oak doors separating the large concrete building next door from the relaxing lounge parts of the shop. You would usually bring loads of old, unsold, books to the library and stack them on shelves for the old lady who handled donations, had you not been on counter duty.
Students to the local collage would often come into the store to relax on the couches and get some coffee from the small caffe around the block on fridays and weekends.
You sighed, handing the paper bag holding a customers purchase to said customer and glancing over at Max. He stood over a large lounge chair seating Madeline, smiling down at his girlfriend.
You scowled and looked over to Tyler. He sat reading a magazine behind the counter, leaving you to bag everyone's purchases.
"You know, a gentleman would help a maiden in distress." You grumbled, reaching over and flicking his head.
"I'm on break, dimwit." He said, smirking defiantly up at you.
"That'll be 5.25 ma'am." You sighed, taking the customers cash from her hand, electing to ignore your stupid brunette friends idiocy.
The flow of people had calmed down immensely and you finally got a moment to rest before the air in your lungs left you like a popped balloon.
A figure wearing a grey hoodie, face hidden in shadows but attractive brown hair peeking out of the hood, approached the counter, holding up a small dark red in color book.
You could feel his smirk behind the concealing shadows and shivered noticeably. Tyler raised his eyebrow at your odd behavior, taking a bite from his apple before nudging you.
You quickly realized you'd just been standing, staring at the man and grasped his book, scanning the barcode with haste.
"Slow down ma'am." He chuckled, voice hoarse and familiar, "I'm in no rush." The brunette teased.
Quickly snatching the other end of the bill he handed you, your fingers brushed his cold flesh, sending shivers down the both of your spines.
His hateful glare penetrated the shadows concealing his face and he watched you fish out the correct change and hand it to him, quickly moving your hand away as soon at the coins hit his palm.
He grabbed your wrist, pulling you into him over the counter.
"See ya' soon sweet heart~" He purred, growly voice making you flush.
The man looked down at the fuming Tyler, a dark chuckle slipping past his silver lips as he sauntered off to the door of the shop.
Your heart rate slowed drastically as soon as he had disappeared from view. You turned back to the cash register, calming down your shaking hands and making a mental note to thank your alarm for waking you up early and apologize for calling it stupid. That is, if you got the chance before mister hooded guy showed up again and ended you.
"What the hell was that (y/n)?" Tyler asked slowly, standing from his chair and reaching out to grab your shoulder.
"What was what?" You mumbled, flinching from his hand.
"You were shivering the entire time that guy was here..." Tyler stated, stepping closer to you, "Who was he? You looked terrified-"
"I'm gonna go on break and see how Hannah's doing..." You grumbled, trying to end the conversation before you spilled your guts to the boy in front of you.
"(y/n)...is he dangerous? Is there anything I can do to help?" Tyler sighed, worry clouding his perfect amber gaze.
That was it. You snapped.
"Look Tyler," Your voice came out colder than you meant it but you didn't stop to correct yourself, "I don't need your help! I'm (y/a) years old, I can handle my own problems! Stop. Trying. To. Help. Me."
Tyler's eyes widened and a few customers were staring at you with wide and confused eyes.
You turned around sharply and stormed off to the back of the store, forgetting that you'd be walking alone for awhile where anything could get you. Max glanced at you, eyes wide with concern and one eyebrow raised while Madeline stayed completely focused on her nails, as you stormed past them, opening the heavy metal door in the back of 'Paper Barn' that lead into the library. Madeline had a small sign-in sheet for employees on all doors but the front entrance so incase you left for break or left for the day you could sign-out easily. You hastily signed your name, writing a quick note about being sick next to it, and pushed the metal door all the way open, rushing through, glancing behind you to see Tyler hurriedly helping a customer before walking around the counter to go after you. Max put out an arm, stopping Tyler and telling him something along the lines of 'Leave her be' from what you could tell.
You excited through the library after checking and seeing that the hooded man hadn't bothered Hannah.
Once out of the store you ran home, too impatient to wait for a bus. It started snowing now and you silently cursed yourself for leaving your coat at work. As the clouds moved in, signaling a snow storm, you noticed the light of the sun slowly slipping beyond the horizon. Tears edged at your eyes when you stopped walking. That familiar dread poured through your system like a warning, telling you to run. Along the sidewalk where you stood, about 20 feet ahead of you in the direction of your home stood a man, head down.
As if on cue, he raised his head and stared you down with those stupid, oozing, black eyes. You froze. You'd expected him to come by now and what a better place to murder you than an empty, dark, snow covered sidewalk in the middle of nowhere. His head shifted, terrifying gaze going behind you before he lifted his mask, flashing an angry frown, and turning away.
You honestly didn't wanna know what or who had chased him off, but feeling a coat slip onto your shoulders and a warm hand turning you around, you realized you didn't have a choice. Your eyes scanned the person, going up from their feet to their chest, then face.
"H-hi Max." You stuttered out, just realizing how cold you were as the adrenaline left your body, blowing away with the icy wind.
"Hey (y/n)." He said, smiling softly, golden eyes glowing in the dim light, "I saw you left your coat and figured you'd be cold."
"Oh..." You sighed, "Thanks Max."
Pulling the coat off your shoulders and putting it on properly you looked up at him, noticing him gazing at where the man had previously stood with a small glare. His mask flashed through your memory, making you shiver.
"Hey, you need a ride home?" Max asked, slowly tearing his glare from the sidewalk ahead.
You were momentarily surprised he didn't ask about the man and wondered if he knew him... before realizing he probably assumed he was some weird ex-boyfriend of yours.
"N-no. I'm fine."
"No you're not (y/n)." He said, grabbing your arm as you turned to continue your walk home, "This snows getting heavier and it's late."
"You should get back to Madeline, Max." You grumbled, moving your gaze from his eyes to the small patch of grass that stuck up from the snow next to you.
"Hey, don't remind me about her when I was feeling happy for a moment." He mumbled, as if intending you not to hear.
You glanced at him, raising an eyebrow before guessing they had a fight and not saying anything else.
"Fine, but just remember i'm not paying you for gas." You smiled slightly.
He looked up at you from his thoughts and smiled, eyes wide and shimmering. Grabbing your hand he pulled you back the other way down to sidewalk. With a squeak of surprise you followed him to his silver car and hopped in, instantly looking in the mirror to see your flushed cheeks and windblown hair that sat in a messy bun. ((or whatever hairstyle you like ;D))
"So," Max asked, turning on the car and blasting the heat while rubbing his hands together for warmth, "What's your status with that Tyler guy?"
You were momentarily to shocked to answer but you cleared your throat and hoped your response came out without stuttering.
"He's one of my best friends." You stated, "Nothing more, nothing less."
Is that true? Is he nothing more to me?
"Oh."
"Why?" You raised an eyebrow when Max wouldn't make eye contact with you.
"No reason. I was just curious, he seemed pretty..." Max quickly stated, pausing before continuing, "....upset...when you left earlier."
"Oh..."
Max and you were silent for the rest of the ride back, occasionally commenting on something before fading into silence once more.
When you arrived at your house, you waved goodbye to Max as he drove away and turned back to your apartment building. As you approached the open hallway, with stairs leading up to the next floor you felt your heart start to thud with a nervous rhythm. You made your way up the first flight of stairs, glancing nervously around at the small landing leading to the next flight of stairs. On the second floor you looked around at the empty hallway. Taking a deep breath, you started up the next flight of stairs, pausing at the landing and staring at the stairs leading to your floor. 10 steps. This hallway held 5 occupied spaces. The first door, 301, held Ms.Jenkin's, a first grade teacher with long pale brown hair and kind but sometimes snobby green eyes. Very tall and skinny. The next door, 302, had Ms.Bee, a kind, big, and spunky lady with a large head of curly brown hair and flawless dark skin. She was very different to the next door down's occupant. Room 303 held Sandra, a tall, nerdy 20 year old with big black rimmed glasses, a long lanky body, brown short hair, and her roomate Kacey, an equally tall blonde female with big blue eyes and a similar description to Sandra but without the glasses and lanky build. Ms.Bee swears they could be sisters while Ms.Jenkin clearly disagrees. Finally across the hall, door located between 302 and 303 on the other wall, was Room 304, housing Mr.Summers, a grumpy, heavy, gray haired and quiet old man. No one new much about him other than that he was a veteran and hated teenagers.
Then Room 305, located across the hall to the left of Mr.Summers between 301 and 302. That was your room. It would be first on the right once you got to the top, Ms.Jenkin would be first to the left if you needed help.
The masked man's image once again appeared in your head as you shut your eyes tight, on the verge of tears. The dread and fear coursing through your veins only made you more sure that he was standing in the hallway, but you did all you could to push away the warning system and go up the stairs like any normal person would. Slowly stepping up the first 3 steps you sighed, continuing your slow rise up the cement stairs and gripping the cold, metal hand railing.
Please don't be there...
Please don't find me...
Please...