chapter three

Chapter 3 - Meredith

4 years ago

"I'd learned that some things are best kept secret."

"Hello, beautiful," Derek whispers in my ear as I'm looking through charts. Ever since that night at the bar, we've been quite flirty.
"I asked Bailey to put you on my service today, so you're with me." I turn around and smile at him, blushing slightly as we make eye contact.
"Meredith!" Cristina yells from down the hall. I quickly pull away from Derek, clear my throat, and look in Cristina's direction.
"And make sure those charts are done before 12, Grey!" Derek yells before walking away.
"What was that?" I quickly shake my head, murmuring a quick, "nothing," before asking her what she needs.
"There's a party tonight, and you're coming with. You can bring your boyfriend too if you want to."
"I don't have a boyfriend." I look at her, a confused look on my face.
"So, you and Shepherd aren't hooking up, then? Or was that whole thing I saw when coming down the hallway the way he treats all of his interns?" She smirks at me as my face turns a dark shade of red.
"Don't tell anyone, please. I don't want people thinking I'm getting surgeries because I'm with him." She nods understandingly before looking at her beeping pager and jetting off down the hallway.
-
"Derek!" I whisper into the dark on call room. I suddenly feel someone yank my arm, and I let out a sharp scream before my mouth is covered by a big hand.
"Sh, it's just me," he whispers, slowly letting go once he knows I won't scream again. "What did you need to talk to me about?"
"Cristina knows." A look of shock and fear quickly replace his smile.
"Is she-"
"No, she won't tell anyone. I made her promise not to." His face shows a look of relief. "But, we need to be more careful. No more flirting at the hospital, no more meeting at the bar, no more of this." I motion to the on call room that we were currently standing in. He chuckles.
"No one is going to catch us, and if they do, I'm totally throwing you under the bus." I smack him on the chest, giggling.
"It's going to be fine."

present

I walk into the hospital, the bright white walls a good contrast to the gloom of the outside sky. I walk to Bailey's office, bracing myself to be interrogated by her.
I get the the door, my heart racing as my small fist smacks against it three times.
"Come in!"
I turn the knob of the door and push it open slowly, my heart rate increasing every second.
"Meredith!" Bailey stands up out of her seat and walks over to me, wrapping her arms around my small frame. "How have you been?"
I let out a sigh and pull back from her embrace. "I've been okay. I have a boyfriend," I say, although I was more telling myself rather than her.
Turning around, I look out the window of the small office, feeling uneasy as my eyes land on the tall, dark haired neurosurgeon who was the reason I left everything I've ever known.
I turn back to Bailey, who has since sat back down in her chair. "That's great, Meredith." I nod, taking a seat in front of her. "I'm glad you've moved on; you deserve to be happy." I wince slightly at her comment. Am I happy? I used to be.
"As you requested, I have managed to keep your visit here a secret to the rest of the staff, except Richard and Arizona, of course. Although, I can't say the same for them. You know how gossip spreads in this hospital: like wildfire." I chuckle, feeling relieved she granted my wish.
"Thank you so much, Bailey. You know I would do anything for you, which is why I'm here, but I uh... I just can't let him know I'm here. I don't want to hurt him by not telling him I was coming to town."
"Hurt him or you? Listen, I get it, Meredith. You don't have to explain yourself to me. I'm perfectly fine keeping you a secret if it means I get to work with you again for a few days." Bailey smiles at me before opening her desk drawer and pulling out a file. "Here's Cole Addams's chart. His plane lands tomorrow at 10am, so you have until then to catch up on it and really understand his case." I nod, a small "thank you" escaping my lips before I get up and start walking towards the door. I'm just about to turn the knob when Bailey stops me.
"Meredith?" My head jerks to look at her. "I'm glad you're back." I smile.
"And I'm glad to be back." With that, I open the door and make my way towards my hotel.

A/N: hello, my loves. i hope this isn't too short or too sucky. ive been super busy, so i won't be able to update super often, but im definitely trying to keep the updates closer together. also, i got a job. how exciting. hope you enjoyed this chapter. if you have any requests of what you'd like to see next, feel free to message me or contact me on Instagram @ cyberaldc.