≈ f i v e ≈

brynn's pov

"Hey, Brynn! How was your dance class?" Annie greets me as I enter our dorm room.

"Good, thanks for asking." I give her a tired smile and grab some stuff from my drawers so I can shower. After taking a really nice dance class in LA, I'm exhausted, but really excited for later.

After taking a nice long shower, I change into a casual pair of black jeans, heeled ankle boots, and a flowy chiffon shirt. I pull my hair back into a ponytail, and apply some light makeup.

Annie's writing something in a journal on her desk when I come back to the room.

"What'cha up to?" I ask, tucking some things into my purse.

She hesitates, but answers, "I-I'm...writing a song."

"Oh! That's so cool."

"Where are you going?" she asks, slightly looking up from what she's writing.

"I'm just going to my friend's apartment." I pause, remembering Carson's invitation to bring someone. "Do you wanna come?"

"Oh," Annie laughs, "I wasn't trying to invite myself to whatever you were going to."

I smile. "I know."

"Oh, uh, sure." She smiles shyly. "Thanks."

Once Annie gets changed, we drive over. She's really easy to talk to, and I learn a lot about her by the time we get to Carson's apartment. I text him when we're outside, and he sends Hayden down to let us in.

"Hey, Brynn!" he greets me, and then turns to Annie. "I'm Hayden."

"Annie," she says shyly, and shakes his hand.

"Um, anyways, let's get upstairs and get this party started!" Hayden grins and leads the way upstairs. 

"Heyyyy!" Carson greets us as we come upstairs. He gives me a hug, and I smile big to avoid showing any sign of giving anything away. "Who's this?" he asks, turning to Annie.

"This is my roommate, Annie."

"Oh, so you actually do have friends, huh, Brynny?" Carson teases, winking at me. My heart speeds up, and I nod and laugh shakily.

After introducing himself to Annie, he looks back at me. "You okay, Brynn?"

"Yeah, why not?" I ask, smiling awkwardly.

"You seem...nervous."

I mentally slap myself. "No, I'm fine," I laugh.

We're interrupted by the arrival of Meika, coming out from the hallway. For the first time, I was happy to see Meika. 

"Hi guys!!" She says, bubbling over with over-cheerfulness. "I'm sooooo sorry I couldn't welcome you! When did you guys get here?"

"Just now." I introduce her to Annie, and then Meika goes on about how she's packing for some trip or something...

Wait, what?

"How long are you going to be gone? And where and why are you going?" I ask, too eagerly.

"Oh," she giggles, "I'm going to Paris to study abroad for the first semester!! I'm so excited. Like imagine, Christmas in Paris? Soooo romantic."

"But I'm not there." Carson pouts, and Meika giggles again and kisses his on the cheek.

"I know, babe, I'm gonna miss you so much. Are you sure you don't wanna change your mind and come with me?"

"I think it's too late," he laughs, wrapping his arms around her waist, "But I would love to."

"Anyways," Meika says, drawing herself out of Carson's arms, "I have to go finish packing, but please help yourself to whatever you want!"

"Thanks!"

Annie and I wander into the living room, where there are a couple of other of Carson's friends.

"I don't really know anyone...this is awkward..." Annie whispers to me. I laugh.

"It's okay, me too."

"Heyyyy, guys," Hayden says, coming over to us. "So....what's new? Sorry, I'm bad at starting conversations."

Annie giggles, and I smile. "Not much."

"What are you majoring in, Annie?" he asks, smiling at her. He sure is happy today...

"Vocal Performance and Theater."

Hayden grins. "Nice! I sing too."

"Really? Are you a voice major?" Annie's face lights up as he nods. "That's so cool!"

"I just got this super cool guitar today, do you wanna see it?" he motions to the his room down the hallway. Annie nods vigorously, and then turns to me.

"Nah, I'm fine," I chuckle. "You can go look."

They disappear into his room, and I go to the kitchen area to go get something to eat. The food area is always a good place to go at a party where you don't know anyone...cuz you'll look busy. Haha, I'm brilliant. Anyways...

"Want a drink?" Carson brushes past me on his way to the fridge.

"What do you have?" I ask, attempting to keep a level tone.

"Anything you want," he laughs and tosses me a can of beer.

I eye the can with disgust. "I don't drink."

"You do now," Carson reaches across the counter to open my drink.

I reach out to grab his hand. "I don't want to...it's not that I'm scared to or something."

"Mhmm."

"Really, please, Carson," I insist, my stomach feeling queazy at the thought of alcohol.

"You sure you're not scared?" He raises his eyebrows at me, chuckling. "Last time I saw you, you were innocent little Brynn, who hadn't had her first kiss yet."

"I-I-Carson!" I stammer, blushing. Then, collecting myself, I protest, "You were a good kid too."

"Not that it was a bad thing at all," I quickly clarify.

"So, have you had your first kiss yet?" He asks, leaning on the counter towards me.

"Uh-well..."

Carson chuckles. "That's what I thought." 

"Can we talk about something else?"

"Like how you're going to have your first drink tonight?" He shoves the open can in front of me. "C'mon, have some fun." 

I roll my eyes. "I've drunk before."

"Then do it again." He motions to the can.

"No."

"You're no fun."

"Neither are you." I push back, smirking.

"I am definitely fun," he says defensively. "And you are not."

When I glare at him, Carson laughs.

"It's okay. We're gonna change that this year."

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

a/n: BAD BY LENNON STELLA IS THE BEST THING EVER. GO LISTEN TO IT. she's better than Billie Eilish.

oh also i have a really really good idea for another bryson book yeeeeee