≈ f i f t e e n ≈

brynn's pov

Kenzie wraps the blanket tighter around her and leans back on the headrest. I just told her the entire story of Carson and what happened between us.

"Wow. That's a lot of tea."

I nod. "Yup."

"Wait, so the song he wrote, he said it was about you?"

"I guess..." I let out my breath loudly. "But I mean, people write songs about people but they don't really mean it, right?"

Kenzie laughs. "Yeah, no, I don't think so."

I let out a groan. "I hate him."

"Sure you do."

"Shut up."

The door to the room opens suddenly, and we both jump. Carson appears in the doorway, his hair messy from sleep.

"You shut up." He glares at us with his half closed eyes. "Both of you. I'm trying to sleep."

"That's awkward," Kenzie giggles. "What did you hear us saying?"

"Nothing. Now sleep. It's 2 freaking am." He turns on his heel and slams the door behind him.

"Goodnight, Dad!" Kenzie calls after him.

I laugh. "Yeah, g'night, Daddy!"

Kenzie raises her eyebrows at me, laughing, and I clap my hand over my mouth. "Oh, frik, didn't mean that."

"Mhm."

Carson's voice travels through the closed door. "Shut up!!"

~~~

"Yo, where are you? I'm bored." Kenzie asks over the phone, and I can hear her crunching another chip in my ear.

"Um, I just got out of class." I hold the door open for a classmate of mine and roll my eyes when they don't thank me.

Kenzie pops another chip into her mouth. "Sooo..."

"Want me to come over?" I ask, beginning to head over in the direction of Carson's apartment.

"Suree. Riverdale when you get here?"

I laugh. "I got more important problems, but sure."

Kenzie giggles. "You're the best friend ever."

~~~

"Hey," I put Kenzie's voicemail on speakerphone, tapping on the door again with my free hand. "I'm here. Let me in, bro."

The door swings open, but it's not Kenzie. Oh, joy.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Carson asks, his eyes narrowing slightly.

"Uhh," I end the call with Kenzie before looking back at him awkwardly. "I, uh...Kenzie told me to meet her here?"

He shrugs, stepping aside to let me in before shutting the door behind me. "She's not here."

My phone buzzes with a text and I quickly glance at it.

kenzz ❤️
you said you had more important problems ;) so solve them!

"What did she say?" Carson asks, tilting his head to try to get a look at my screen.

"I don't know." I shrug, shoving my phone back in my pocket and kicking off my shoes, feeling suddenly nervous. "She's coming back...soon, I guess?"

"Okay," he nods, then looks down quickly.

"Brynn, can I just..."

I raise an eyebrow at him. "Yeah?"

"I-I'm sorry. About everything, I mean being rude, and...stuff." He actually looks genuinely sincere.

"Are you?" I have to ask, looking him in the eye. "There's been a lot of "stuff", if you wanna call it that."

Carson nods. "I know."

"So explain yourself." I cross my arms over my chest, leaning back against the wall.

He lowers his tone to almost a whisper. "The words just...get in the way. I can't explain it, Brynn."

"What do you mean?" I ask, shaking my head. "You're not making sense."

Carson pauses for a second. Then, with two steps, he closes in the space between us, and his hands are around my waist, pulling me towards him.

Oh, okay. This is actually happening.

He leans in, his lips hovering near mine. "I'm tired of trying to explain myself."

Then his lips are on mine. I stand there for a split second, almost frozen in shock, but as his hands slide up my body towards my neck, I relax into the kiss. His lips move slowly and passionately, and I savor the taste, wanting this moment to last forever.

When I was younger, I wondered what it would be like to kiss Carson, or to kiss anyone, for that matter. This was beyond anything that I could ever imagine.

sParKs wErE flYinG

We pull away, breathing hard, and my mind tries to understand what just happened.

"What was that?" I whisper breathlessly.

He tilts my chin up to meet his eyes. "Brynn, what do you want it to be?"

As my mind comes back to land on planet Earth, my heart sinks.

"You have a girlfriend."

He nods. "I know. I'm sorry I played with your feelings before. You were right. I shouldn't like someone else when I have a girlfriend."

'Like someone else'. Carson likes me? My mind spins again, my heart racing.

"What are you going to do, then?" I finally force out.

"I'll break up with her or something." He says, looking down.

"You would? For me?" I ask, still in disbelief. "She's gonna hate me."

"I have to." Carson pulls me in for another kiss. "We'll figure it out."

"I can't...believe..." I stammer, still at a loss for words.

Carson smirks. "How was that for your first kiss, huh?"

I blush, embarrassed, and slap him lightly on the shoulder.

Then there's a knock on the door, and we both jump.

"Are y'all decent or do I have to wait a couple minutes?" Kenzie shouts through the door.

Carson grabs the door open and pulls Kenzie inside. "Why the heck are you announcing to the entire floor?"

She just giggles. "So it worked?"

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

hehe i was gonna end this chapter with brynn getting mad and it being a disaster but i decided i've put you all through enough ;) you're welcome