≈ t w e l v e ≈

brynn's pov

"Guess what."

I cradle my phone between my shoulder and my ear as I adjust my backpack. "What."

"I'm coming to visit campus Friday and then I'll get to stay the weekend." Kenzie's voice rises with excitement.

"Oh my gosh, really?"

"Yes!" She squeals. "I can't wait to see you. We should go out somewhere with Carson and his hot friends."

"Oh." I say awkwardly. I still haven't told her what happened yet, and I'm not sure I want to, either. "I might be busy."

Kenzie laughs. "What would you be busy with? Hey, if you're trying to avoid Carson, it's okay. I approve of you guys."

"Kenz, he has a girlfriend. And I don't like him." I sigh.

"Mhm," she giggles. "Deny it all you want, I know you too well. Anyways, I don't like Meika, so I'd be fine if you broke them up."

"Kenzie!" I scold. Thank God she's not here, or she'd see the full-on blush that spread over my cheeks.

"Just saying."

"Yeah, yeah, anyways." Attempting to change the conversation, I ask, "What are you coming up for?"

"College visit. And just to see you. Is there a problen with that?"

I laugh awkwardly. "Of course not. I gotta go, but I'll see you soon! Love you."

"Love you too."

~~~

I arrive at ballet class early, throw down my bag at my place on barre and plop down onto the floor to start stretching. My mind wanders, thinking about all that's gone on in the past week.

What am I supposed to tell Kenzie? I'm going to have to explain everything, and it could end up really awkward.

Maybe I was reading into things, and he really doesn't like me. If so, that's just really embarrassing for me, and make me look stupid.

He tried to text me after, but I left him on read, so he gave up.

I guess I am being a little petty.

"Hey girl," I look up to see Jenna coming over, signature smirk on her face.

I nod in acknowledgement, not rEally wanting to talk to her right now.

"How's it going?" She prods, setting her dance bag next to mine and sitting down next to me.

"Fine."

"Mmm." Jenna leans over to squint at my phone. I turn the screen away from her, glaring slightly. "So, how's it going with that hot hunk of meat of yours?"

"The what?"

"You know," she raises her eyebrows at me, "That guy you're always texting, and you hang out with him all the time..."

Wow, okay. I purse my lips and give her a tight lipped smile. "It's going great. Thanks for asking."

"Of course. Because if he turns you down, just tell him I'm here." Jenna smirks and then turns to walk away.

"For sure. I'm sure he'd take you in a heartbeat." I mutter sarcastically under my breath. Anyone but me, huh.

~~

"Hey, Brynn." I feel a light touch on my shoulder gently shaking me awake. I force my eyelids open and roll over to see Annie.

"Carson's at the door," she explains apologetically.

"Oh." I push myself off the bed and hurry to the door. What is he doing here?

He gives me a half smile as I open the door.

"Hey," I furrow my eyebrows at him. "What are you doing here?"

"Kenzie asked me to have you come with me to pick her up from the airport," he says.

"What?" I let out a long sigh. "I thought she was coming later."

Carson gives me a slightly annoyed look. "Well, she's not. What are you doing right now that's so important? You don't have any classes right now."

Of course he knows my class schedule...

"I was taking a nap. Sleep is important," I cross my arms over my chest. "And I'm not even ready now. I look like a mess."

"You always look fine." He rolls his eyes. "And stop being a brat and get ready."

I aLWAYS look fiNe. Mkay.

"Uh, give me a second and I'll be out in a sec." I shut the door in his face, and hurry back to throw on a different outfit.

"Sorry it took a while," I say as I climb into Carson's car, a couple minutes later.

"It's okay," he shrugs, pulling the car out onto the road. "Kenzie should have told you I was coming to pick you up."

"Or she should have just not made me come," I mutter under my breath.

Carson turns his head to shoot me a funny look, and I avoid his glance.

My phone buzzes with a text, and I pick it up to see it's from Kenzie.

kenzz ❤️

hehe i asked carse to pick
you up ;)

so i noticed

a thank u would suffice

yea whatever

now start talking to him :))

right away, ma'am 🙄

I click off my phone, heaving a sigh. An awkward silence hangs heavily in the air.

Should we talk? Yes. Do I want to? Yes. Will I? No. I'm so petty.

Carson takes the initiative first. "Are we just never going to talk ever again?"

Good question. "I don't know," I answer honestly.

"Are you mad at me?"

Good question, again. "I don't know."

He sighs. "How can I make it up to you?"

I pause before finally turning to look at him. "Answer me honestly. Were you flirting with me? Was I really just reading into things?"

"Of course I wasn't, Brynn." He says, making eye contact with me. I raise my eyebrows at him and his gaze moves back to the road in front of us.

"Truly? Honestly? Cross your heart?" I press further, desperately wanting to hear what I want.

He doesn't answer.

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~