≈ n i n e t e e n ≈

brynn's pov

As soon as I get outside, I'm hit with a harsh realization: I don't have a ride back to my dorm. Carson picked me up before the party today. There's no way I'm going back inside to ask for Annie...or to get my phone and my wallet, I realize...so I'm going to have to walk back.

I start the trek back, glad that it hasn't gotten too dark yet. The wind blows slightly, and I wrap my arms around myself, hoping it doesn't get too cold before I get back. Walking gives me time to think...more than I'd like..

The first thing that fills my mind is shame. Of course, it's not my fault, my mind tells me, but I can't help feeling guilty. I was kissing someone else's boyfriend. I was completely and utterly in love with someone who wasn't who I thought he was. I thought Carson had changed. I thought he had wanted me, and only me. I mean, I had right to believe that...he had told me so. 

Why hadn't he broken up with Meika? Either he liked me, but was too much of a coward to break up with her...or he was just playing with me, because, like he said, he was bored. The tears begin to flow again as I remember what he said.

I just wanted some fun. I was bored, okay?

There's no way I could ever unhear that. All those memories, laughs, and stolen kisses were fake. The emotional high I've been on crashes down, and I'm sobbing before I can stop myself.

Part of what hurts me most isn't what he said...but the fact that we won't ever be the same again. I might forgive him, but I'll never be able to look at Carson the same. Oh, Carson, the boy I've loved since I was a kid. That dream is gone forever.

A car pulls up beside me, and I ignore it, desperately hoping it's not Carson or a friendly person pitying a sobbing girl walking alone.

"Hey, Brynn," a voice calls softly as the window rolls down. With relief, I glance over, seeing it's Annie. In the seat next to her sits Kenzie. I break down again, seeing them, and Kenzie jumps out of the car, coming over to wrap me in a hug.

"My brother doesn't deserve you," she bursts out passionately. "I already gave him a piece of my mind, and a slap on the face, but gosh, I can't believe he did that. I'm so sorry, Brynn."

I pull away, wiping my cheeks and sniffling. "You slapped him?"

Annie laughs from inside the car. "She sure did. It was pretty satisfying too." She gestures for us to get in. "Come on, let's get you home. I got ice cream from the store the other day, and we'll turn on a nice rom-com or something. We're going to finish this weekend strong if I can help it." I sniffle pitifully in response.

Reluctantly, I climb into the car, pulling my pride together enough to not burst into tears again. Kenzie swivels around in her seat to face me. "Can I turn on strong independent women music?"

"You're just wanting an excuse to listen to Lizzo," I answer knowingly, but can't help laughing a little bit. She shrugs with a slight giggle, turning back around. "Maybe so."

Within seconds, Kenzie has her phone plugged in, to the speaker, blasting Truth Hurts at max volume. She and Annie laugh and shout the lyrics at the top of their lungs. Kenzie reaches back to grab my hands, trying to coax me to join in.

"You tried to break my heart? Oh, that breaks my heart. That you thought you ever had it, No, you ain't from the start. Hey, I'm glad you're back with your b**ch."

"That's Meika," Annie shouts above the song. I shake my head, trying not to laugh, but I can't help it.

"I mean who would wanna hide this? I will never, ever, ever,—"

"Ever!" Annie yells.

"EVER," Kenzie joins her.

"—ever be your side chick!"

"Come on, sing it!" Kenzie squeals.

"I put the siii-iii-iii-iiiing in single! Ain't worried 'bout a ring on my finger!" I join in hesitantly, and they cheer. "So you can tell your friend, "shoot your shot" when you see 'em, It's OK, he already in my DMs!"

"Why men great 'til they gotta be great? Don't text me, tell it straight to my face." Annie wags her finger at me in the rear view mirror and jumps up and down in her seat. Rolling down the window, Kenzie screams out it, "Men ain't great!" Outside, a bunch of drunk college guys squint at her in confusion, and Annie and I burst out into laughter.

"Best friend sat me down in the salon chair!" Kenzie taps me, nodding her head. "That's me!"

"Shampoo press, get you out of my hair. Fresh photos with the bomb lighting, New man on the Minnesota Vikings. Truth hurts, needed something more exciting!" Together, we all shout out, "Bom! bom! bi bom! bi dum! bum bay!"

"That's my girl," Kenzie high fives me, and I reluctantly smile back, starting to feel better. 

By the time we get back to the dorm, we're well hyped up, and I'm even starting to think like Lizzo...I don't need a guy. Annie and Kenzie hurry me inside and throw me on the couch with a bunch of pillows and blankets. In a snap, they've got a rom-com running and popcorn and soda  at hand.

"What's your favorite candy bar?" Annie demands, throwing open one of her drawers. Inside are every kind of candy, from Sour Patch Kids to Paydays. Gaping, Kenzie comes over to the drawer. "Girl, you really got every kind of candy here!"

Muffled from underneath the wraps of blanket, I call, "I can't get up and see, but how come you never told me you had so much candy and never shared it with me?"

Annie blushes. "Well, I just got them all...from Hayden."

[bruh i rly have been writing this book since hannie was endgame and that shows how old and slow i update oop]

"NO WAY," I untangle myself from the blankets and crawl over the mound of pillows to the girls. Kenzie tosses me a Twix, knowing my favorite candy bar, and I thank her while admiring Annie's very expansive collection of candy. From another drawer, Annie draws out some makeup wipes and tosses them to Kenzie and me. "Take it all off, we're doing facemasks."

"Pause the movie!" Kenzie hollers, flinging herself back over to the couch to find the remote. We laugh uncontrollably as the pile of blankets collapses under her body, throwing her onto the floor.

By the time we're all facemask-ed up, stuffing our faces with candy and popcorn, and crying laughing at the movie, Carson is almost a forgotten memory. Thank God for my friends.

~

~

~

i always write like half a chapter right after a publish a new one and then get writers block in the middle and finish it like a month later sorryyyy ily for still being here