Mercy vs Justice

Mercy means to forgive: justice means applying reward or penalty equally. If both of these are attributes of God, then they cannot be opposed. Humanity does not deserve Jesus' death, but if His blood is applied to all, then it is justice. God shows no favoritism; to forgive specific people would be unjust mercy, but to forgive every person equally is just.

There is a harsher judgement for those who are privileged with knowledge of the law-it is used as evidence against God's favoritism in Romans 2:11-but He does not punish privilege alone. He rewards according to actions, (Romans 2:6,) in fact, Jesus says "whoever has will be given more." (Matthew 13:12)

From some He retains His blood, again not out of vengeance, but out of respect for their agency. To refuse forgivness is a right He has given to man, to be allowed the consequences of our sin is evidence of our agency. God, in His generousity, would give everyone a greater gift than they deserve, but He will allow a man to take what he deserves. He does not force His blood on men; He gives to all who do not reject it.

In the beginning, man was given a choice between life and death, now, men are given a choice between the eternal versions of the two. Only those who refuse, or have refused, the eternal gift will suffer the eternal punishment. The stakes have been raised; a person will either be inside the Kingdom or the alternative, Hell.

It is not that God will be the tormentor: His creation is punishing the punished, and it will be so in the future. Nature will enforce the law, as it always has.