I [GOD] DO NOT CHANGE

The title is from Malachi 3:6, and it illustrates a major part of God's Nature. I will explain what it means later, but first some rules of cause and effect.

All effects need causes: the movement of a cloud needs wind, wind needs the sun to heat the air, and the sun needs a cause as well. One cannot go on finding effects forever without finding what Aristotle called an unmoved mover, a cause that does not change. The idea that one can is called an infinite regress. The insane question of who created the Creator is asked on the premise of infinite regress, the idea that there is no Creator. The person is arguing against his own existence because he does not believe in his Creator. If there is no Creator, there is no Creation, if there is a Creation, then there is a Creator.

What has this to to do with his nature? Assuming He does not change:

We must assume He does not age, being outside of time.

We must assume He is Omnipotent, because otherwise He would be less powerful having made the universe.

We must assume He is Omniscient, because learning would change Him.       

We must assume He is Just, because He made the law and does not change it.

Other assumptions could be made, these are the only that came to mind.

The only counter-arguments I can think of can be found in God's relationship with Man. I will debunk them to the best of my ability.

Some do not understand equal justice, and use God's changing rewards and punishments as an argument against His constancy, but equal justice means reacting to actions the same way every time with every individual. God is constant because He punishes the evil and rewards the good, not because He rewards everyone equally regardless of actions. He reacts, but in the same way every time; His law remains constant.

Some would point to His Mercy as an argument against this, but they do not understand its depth. Infinity minus any finite number remains infinity; God can forgive all finite human sins, and still have enough mercy to grant eternal life.