Chapter Five: Nightmares

Hey there! I have been working really hard to end this story, so in the meantime I'm just going to keep posting. Anyways none of the artwork is mine. Just the story itself. Thanks and I hope you enjoy!

...

The loud pounding at the door woke Taehyung from his fatigue-induced nap. He literally passed out in his chair at his mother's side...he looked over at her, checking her vitals and IV drips before walking to the door, opening it without looking into the peephole. He should have looked. On the other side stood his estranged father, Mr. Kim, and four men. The men grabbed Taehyung, dragging him to the side of the living room and away from his mother's sick bed.

"What the fuck do you want?!" Taehyung shouted, watching in horror as Mr. Kim crossed the room to his mother's sick bed, "Leave her alone, you bastard, leave her alone!" Taehyung's screams woke his mother, and through hazy eyes she looked up at her killer.

"It's been awhile..." she whispered, her once-beautiful voice riddled with pain. Mr. Kim analyzed her body and sighed.

"You're pitiful," he spat before pulling a gun out of his holster, "I need Taehyung. Which means you need to die. I'm sorry, my love," he added, turning the safety off.

"No! No! No!" Taehyung screamed, struggling violently against his captors, but they won't release him. His mother turned and looked at him, tears in her faded green eyes.

"Be strong, Tae—" the sound of a gunshot ripped through the room, and Taehyung screamed, his heart crumbling as blood poured from his mother's chest.

"Mom! Mom! No! No—"

...

"No! NO! Let me go!" Taehyung screams, thrashing in the sheets as he dreams. Jungkook holds onto his shoulders tightly, shaking him even as the boy punches and smacks at his dream attackers.

"Taehyung! Taehyung, wake up!" Jungkook shouts, giving one finally shake to his shoulders before his brown eyes snap open. His whole body is trembling and a light layer of sweat coats his skin.

"Jungkook...fuck..." Taehyung groans, his jaw clenched as he tries to fight the visceral nightmares that consumed him. He felt that moment all over again. He saw the bullet, smelt the gunpowder and blood...he remembered the sound of her voice right before the gun went off. Jungkook pulls Taehyung into his lap, embracing him as his body slowly stops shaking and his breathing returns to normal, "I'm so sorry...did I hurt you...?"

"No...no its fine," Jungkook soothes him by stroking his hair, planting a kiss on his forehead lightly. Suddenly, his phone rings and he sighs. That ringtone is Mr. Kim... he grabs the phone from the side table and answers briskly, "Sir...?"

"What was that noise coming from Taehyung's room? What the hell is going on down there?!" Mr. Kim shouts, and Jungkook clenches his jaw, keeping his anger at bay.

"He was having a nightmare, sir. Nothing more. I went in and got him settled. He won't be waking you again. I apologize for the inconvenience,"

"A nightmare, huh? What a weak boy...I'll show him nightmares..." Mr. Kim hangs up as he grumbles to himself and Jungkook sighs through his teeth, fighting the rage that consumes him. Taehyung looks up at him with big, innocent, eyes that calm all of his fury.

"What did he want...?"

"He heard your screams...Taehyung...what did you dream of...?" Jungkook asks, and instantly Taehyung's fear consumes him again and he shakes his head quickly.

"Not now...I can't..." he pants, his panic and anxiety making it hard for him to breathe.

"Shh...love, it's okay...nothing bad is going to happen to you right now..." Jungkook comforts Tae as he hugs him tightly, kissing him gently to let him know he's safe, "I'm so sorry I asked..."