Chapter 2

Honerva's POV

I walk down the corridors of the Hospital, people keep looking at me as I walk. Am I not supposed to be here? My strides are strong and purposeful to give off the impression that I know what I am doing, and no one can question me.

I see the place known as reception, this is where I can ask about the Paladin. I had learned the names of the future Paladins, which makes finding them a lot easier. The lady at the reception desk looks at me as I stand in front of her.

"Can I help you Ms?" Her voice was kind and her facial expression matched. It gave off the perfect welcome for new people. For me.

"Yes I believe you can, I am looking for someone by the name of Lance McClain." My British accent was very strong compared to her unidentifiable accent.

She look at me with a judging eye and I could tell that she was studying me, seeing if I was a good person or maybe something else. "And what is your connection with Lance McClain?"

Quiznak! I hadn't thought of that. What if I say the wrong this and that takes away my chances of killing him peacefully. 'Think of something Honerva. Come on!'  I bring my hand to my hip and place a confident smile on my face.

"I am the person coming to assess his mental state." Why the hell did I say that?! I am going to get kicked out for sure! The woman looks me over again and then starts to type at her computer.

"Well, it does say that someone was going to come in but there is no picture or name. Do you have any identification?" I look at her with a blank expression. 'Wait there IS someone supposed to come in?' I then realise what she had said and reached into my pocket.

I had a feeling this planet would have a system like this, so I had already made different types of identification for different parts of the world. I flick through them until I find the correct one.

"See, my name is Honerva and I am from Britain and I am here to help Lance McClain." I didn't give the lady enough time to properly look at the small card. She started to type at her computer again.

"Ok Honerva, his room is down the left hallway and number 10." I place the card back into my pocket and start walking down the hallway until I reached the room number 10. I take in a huge breath to calm my nerves for what I am about to do.

However, my breath hitches when I hear a bloody scream come from inside. The sound sent a massive bone chilling shiver down my spine and it causes me to visibly shudder. The sound doesn't stop there, the scream continues until the voice starts to cut out.

Loud grunting and violent sobbing escapes the room, there is a brief moment of silence before the screams start up again. The sounds are so pained and frightened, no not frightened; terrified.

I slowly open the door and the sounds blast at me, no longer muffled by the walls of the building. The sight in front of me makes tears prick my eyes.

Strapped down to the bed, lay a small, dangerously skinny boy. If I were to guess his age, I would say that he was 4 years old.

He is thrashing around, eyes harshly shut; trying to break free from the restraints. If I had no common sense I would have ripped them off of him right then and there. But I know they must be on there for a reason.

His voice became horse and cut out completely, he turned his head and looked at me. His eyes almost popped out of head, he looked at me with absolute fear and tears started to cascade down his bony face. 'Did he know what I was here to do?' No.

Wheezing sounds made there way through his broken voice as he tried to yell out again. He began mumbling and tried to curl up in a ball.

The little boys hair was matted against his head and his restrained limbs were in casts, he didn't seem to care about the physical pain that his body must be in. Bruises and cuts littered any exposed skin and a few of them were bleeding from the strain he was placing on himself.

I looked at the boy and questioned if I would ever be able to kill him.

I don't think that I could.