Points of View in Writing (II)

(By Gayle Moran)

1. Limited Omniscient

In the limited omniscient point of view, the author tells the story in the third person, but he tells it from the viewpoint of one character in the story. The author places himself at the elbow of this character, so to speak, and looks at the events of the story through his eyes and through his mind. He moves both inside and outside this character but never leaves his side. He tells us what this character sees and hears and what he thinks and fells. He knows everything about this character, but he shows no knowledge of what other characters are thinking or feeling or do, except for what his chosen characters knows or can infer.

The limited omniscient point of view offers a ready-made unifying element, since all details of the story are the experience of one person. At the same time, it offers a limited field of observation, for the reader can go nowhere except where the chosen character goes.

2. Omniscient

In the omniscient point of view, the story is told by the author, using the third person, and her knowledge and prerogatives are unlimited. She is free to go wherever she wishes, to peer inside the minds and hearts of her characters at will and tell us what they are thinking or feeling. She can interpret their behavior, and she can comment, if she wishes, on the significance of the story she is telling. She knows all. She can tell as little or as much as she likes. The omniscient is the most flexible point of view and permits the widest scope.

3. First Person

In the first person point of view, the author disappears into one of the characters, who tells the story in the first person. This character may be either a major or minor character, protagonist or observer, and it will make considerable difference whether the protagonist tells her own story or someone else tells it. The first person point of view offers excellent opportunities for dramatic irony and for studies in limited or blunted human perceptivity.

4. Objective

In the objective point of view, the author disappears into a kind of roving sound camera. This camera can go anywhere, but can record only what is seen and heard. It cannot comment, interpret, or enter a character's mind. With this point of view, the reader is placed in the position of a spectator at a movie or play. He sees what the characters do and hears what they say but can only infer what they think of feel or what they are like. The author is not there to explain.  The objective point of view has the most speed and the most action; also, it forces the reader to make her own interpretations.