10 Questions to Ask when Choosing a Setting (II)

6. Do you want a real or fictional setting?

You might want the reader to bring her own memories and views of a real place to the story, or you might want to create an entirely make believe world. A fantasy realm, a distant planet, or even a small town that doesn't actually exist. Real places might require a little more research to ensure you're not getting facts wrong, but they also bring a sense of realism to the story. A made up place gives you the freedom to do whatever you want, though it might take more work to build that world. 

(More on choosing the right words to describe your setting here) 

7. Is it a small or large scale location?

Consider the scope of your setting. Maybe you want a small town, or just a small room. You might want the story to spread across continents or galaxies. 

8. Do you want an urban or rural area?

Big cities offer things rural places don't and vice versa. Even if your setting is made up, you have options on how metropolitan it will be. 

(More on researching your setting here) 

9. Does the protagonist know this place or is she new to it?

A setting feels differently to someone who's live there her whole life versus a newcomer. Do you want the reader to feel like a newcomer as well, or like a native? 

10. Do you want a setting you're familiar with or something you'd need to research?

You might choose to set the novel in your hometown, or pick a place you've always wanted to visit. Knowing the locale might be easier to write, though you might also feel the need to get every detail exact (which can bog you down). The freedom to explore a new location could spark excitement and make the setting come alive, (though you could get details wrong and have readers call you on it.) 

The setting brings so much to a story, it's worth taking time to find the one that best enhances that story. 

For those who would like to improve, here's a writing exercise:-

In 250 words or less, describe a setting 

But here's the catch--use contradictory imagery. For example, describe a scary setting using a locations that's traditionally, non-scary. Or a romantic setting somewhere that's usually un-romantic. Stuck for ideas? Pick one of these pairings:

A romantic garbage dump. 

A terrifying pre-school. 

A comforting haunted house. 

A funny funeral parlor. 

Post your entry in the comments below :D

Thanks for reading and commenting and voting people! Here's to us, the writers *raises glass*.