I. Quiet Storm

"When it rains...it pours..."

Maraj House
June 28th, 2007

"Mommy I thought you said you guys would be back by now?" Nicki whined over the phone to her mother.

"I know baby but that storm is really bad, you should've come so you wouldn't be alone." Nicki sighed at her mother's response, her mother, older sister and younger brother were all at her grandmother's house in Rutherford, Jersey, while she was stuck back at home in North Carolina, where a nasty storm just happened to be approaching.

She was being stubborn when she'd said she didn't want to go, but the loud rolls of thunder, and sickening strikes of lightning outside made her quickly regret her ill decision making.

"I'm sacred Ma." Nicki wasn't afraid to admit it either because she truthfully was, the storm was supposed to unforgiving to the part of North Carolina they resided in, and she couldn't help but to want be in her mothers arms, and nowhere else.

"I know baby, but I always stock up on supplies so you have plenty of canned goods, water, snacks, anything you might need, but I suggest you eat some of that lasagna before the power gets a Chance to go out baby." Her mother's soothing voice alleviated her nerves a little, she felt herself relax a bit knowing her mother had made sure the house was well prepared at all times, but the notion that the power might go out made her heart jump into her throat.

"You think the powers gonna go?" Nicki questioned meekly, she hated the dark.

She heard her mother sigh into the phone, it sounded anxious.

"I'm not sure baby but just be prepared, there's flashlights in the garage and kitchen, and you have that portable charger for your phone." Nicki felt the lump in her throat, she hated situations like this.

"Okay momma tell Jahjah I said hey." She sighed over the line, jahjah was her little brother and they both hated storms, she could only imagine how happy he was that he was out the storms path.

"I will baby once he wakes up, your sister wants to talk to you." Nicki rolled her eyes while adjusting the phone to her ear hearing shuffling in the back and muffled speaking before her sister's voice filled the line

"Hey mini me! I hope you got that pool Floatie still I heard it's supposed to be a hell of a storm, you gone need it." Nicki rolled her eyes even harder at the amusement in Ming's tone, she couldn't take shit seriously, sometimes she wanted to tell her to shut the fuck up.

And so that's what she did.

"Shut the fuck up Ming." Nicki growled over the line lowly, her sisters unwanted sarcasm was the last thing she needed to hear.

"Girl you better watch your fucking mouth! I will prison whoop yo ass like I just did fifty years and you the reason why." Ming said in all seriousness, while Nicki struggled to hold her laughter in at her sisters threat, Ming had a hot temper and was easily provoked by anything she felt disrespectful towards her.

"I'm just playing girl damn no need for all that drama, save it for those bitches you like to beat up daily." Nicki said while leaning back on the couch, she was downstairs watching the rain and it only seemed to be getting harder.