TWENTY TWO [ imagine ]

[ never had the chance ]
[ diana barry ]

a/n: alternate universe where the cuthberts not only adopted anne; but also adopted you.

being adopted by the cuthberts was honestly the best thing that had ever happened to you. never in a million years did you expect for someone to actually want you to be apart of their family.

in the orphanage; anne and yourself were the outcasts. all the other girls always picked on you and made horrible remarks.

you had been best friends with anne since you were both little toddlers. you always stuck up for each other and never let anything get in the way of your friendship.

when anne was taken away to the cuthberts; it was both the best and worst thing to ever happen to her at first. she promised that she would never forget you, and she kept that promise.

a few weeks after anne had been gone, you received word that the cuthberts also wanted to take you in.

joy filled your small heart as you gathered your few things in a bag and went to the train station; eager to meet your new family and to see anne once again.

and now you were here...

four months had passed since you had been taken in by your new family and you loved every moment of it. from going on adventures with anne, to engaging in school everyday; everything just seemed to be perfect.

today seemed like the most faultless day. you were sitting with your four best friends in the clubhouse. cole was working on his sculptures; ruby was fantasizing about gilbert; anne was writing one of her famous adventure stories; and diana was watching you intently as you sketched in your notebook.

you and diana shared a secret attraction towards each other that you didn't want anyone else to know. you both didn't mind it being kept quiet and you intended on sharing the secret with your friends eventually. but for now; as long as the thought of you two being together was kept alive; everything was perfectly fine.
-

that night, you were fast asleep in your bed when you heard the bell sound. almost instantly, anne raced into your room telling you to follow her to the barn.

marilla told you both to take as many buckets as you could carry and to take a few blankets. matthew got on one of the horses and went ahead before you all as marilla got you into the carriage.

the scene was absolutely horrific.

fire surrounded almost all sides of the house as flames were coming out of various openings. the fire burned deep red and amber; almost a livid purple as people were trying to water it down.

your heart sunk as you immediately worried if ruby was ok.

diana ran to both you and anne; engulfing you in a warm hug," rest assure that ruby and her family are fine." she said, noticing the worry that coated your faces.

ruby ran over to you all and hugged each one of you as tears ran down her soft cheeks. "we've lost everything." "please don't worry dear ruby, everything is going to be ok. what matters is that you're safe." you said to the blue-eyed blonde.

anne looked up at the house and shook her head," they're only making it worse." "anne, what do you mean?" diana asked as she searched anne's face for an answer.