𝕀

It was a normal day in the 99th precinct. Nothing special was happening anywhere, and it was making the detectives, especially Jake Peralta, completely mad.

It had gotten to the point that the whole inner group was just sitting in the breaking room, watching the television as it showed them the news.

"What is wrong with America today?" Jake wondered out loud. "Where are all the murders!?" He yelled, exasperated.

Almost like magic, the news channel was interrupted by an urgent message.

"We now have news from Washington D.C., where eight minor politicians have been arrested, along with thirteen members of the mafia."

"Why does this sound familiar? Is this supposed to sound familiar?" Jake started rumbling. He was right, it was familiar. Not only to him, but also to Charles, and neither of them could actually pinpoint why.

"The FBI confirmed that this was indeed an undercover mission, and after years of infiltrating the mafia's plans and many lifes lost, the case has come to an end."

Then it clicked. Jake finally remembered why this whole story sounded way too familiar to him.

"Holly shit!" Jake almost yelled, standing up from his chair.

"Isn't this Ellie?" Charles asked in awe, as if he wasn't really sure if he should say anything.

"Oh my God," Rosa tunned in their conversation. "You're right. This is Ellie's case." Jake immediatly left the room, leaving the rest of the team frozen. All but Amy Santiago, who had absolutely no idea who Ellie Cruz was.

"Who's Ellie?" Amy asked, slightly confused. She didn't quite know why Jake was acting so desperate, and why he had left the room in such a hurry.

"She was Jake's first," Hitchcock said with a tone that disgusted Amy to the bones.

"Ew, shut up!" Rosa almost yelled at the man, making him flinch and back down form the subject.

"He's not wrong," Charles decided to say, earning another shut up from Rosa.

"Ellie Cruz was a detective here in the nine nine before you entered," Diaz explained to her. "She and Jake had a.. thing. They were getting serious, but the FBI came by and she's been undercover for nine years."

"Nine years?!" Amy couldn't believe it. Judging by Ellie's last name, Cruz, she was obviously Latina. Amy tried to imagine her own parents's reactions if she were to go undercover for nine whole years.

And Jake... Amy tried to imagine how alone Jake must have felt when she went under. This was probably the reason Jake made sure he lost his bet with her. Jake didn't want to get involved with anyone else, he still had hope that Ellie would come back, even after all those years.

Suddenly, the captain's loud voice boomed and entered the room.

"Sit, Peralta," he said, before taking a stance in front of them all. "Yes, the rumors are true. This was indeed Detective Ellie Cruz' undercover mission." Jake let out a sudden breath of relief. "She had called for backup five minutes ago, a few blocks from Grant Park. She is still undercover with two Mexican Mafia members that managed to escape. We go now, I'll meet you downstairs in five."

As everyone stood up and ran to their locker to get their bulletproof gear, Holt called Peralta again.

"Jake," he called him. "I think it's best if you sat this one out, son." As Jake was aching to make a remark about Holt calling him son, he had more important things to whine about.

"I'm sorry sir, but I can't do that," Jake countered. "I've waited for this moment for nine and a half years, I don't think I can wait any longer," he said honestly. Captain Holt took a deep breath. There was no way Jake was going to stay behind.