✩*• running. •*✩

AU, jake is running from the law instead of to it.

running from the law is kinda exhilarating. terrifying, but exhilarating nonetheless. as i sprint down the dark alleyways of brooklyn all i can think, is why i hadn't gone to the gym prior to this. i was heaving and panting and i'd only run a few blocks.

the thing is, i thought this would be more like the movies. where the cops chase you in a car, and you escape over fences without getting caught. how was i meant to know there were gonna be cops running on foot?

i mean, i hadn't really done anything wrong. well, i did just try to rob a jewellery store but i didn't even get anything! if anything the money would be worth going to jail. at least, that's what i told myself.

i could hear the person chasing me gaining. their footsteps becoming quicker and louder as they fastened their pace. is that... a woman running? dang, how is she running in heels? maybe they're not high heels, maybe they're-

just focus jake!
god talking to myself is exhausting sometimes.

i decide in a final attempt that i'll try to do something cool. i mean i'll probably get caught anyway. i see a dumpster nearby with a window slightly above it. perfect.

i try to jump as high as i could as i land on top of the bin. well, more in the bin i suppose. i hadn't noticed that the side of the bin towards the window was actually open. i had essentially just jumped into a massive pile of trash. way to impress a girl, jake. i can hear her laughter outside the bin before she decides against it.

"freeze! you have the right to remain silent. everything you say, can and will..."

she rambles on and finished her speech quickly. i'm hardly listening, as i try to see her from the streetlights. i decide to wink. she clearly couldn't see my face, but it was worth a shot. i put both hands above my head in surrender and try to step out of the bin gracefully. it's only then i notice she has a gun trained on me.

"i'm not gonna run! i mean, you saw me earlier right? i'm hardly going to win if i run again."

she snorts and spins me around to grab my forearms. she pulls them around till they're behind my back as she handcuffs them together. with a tug, she manages to pull me across to the approaching police car. leaning over, i can feel her breath close to my ear.

"hm, unfortunate you're my enemy. i think i would've liked you."

she chuckles slightly and opens the police door. my mouth hangs open involuntarily as i get locked into the car. she chuckles and waves me off as i am driven away. i shake my head and lean as close as i can to the bars separating me from the front part of the car.

"h-hey buddy, what's her name?"

"amy? the girl that dropped you in here?"

he chuckled slightly at my excessive nodding before he added:

"good luck with her, she seems to have a thing for criminals, ironically."

with a huff i try to sit comfortably against the seat. amy, huh?