Fifty: Micah

Saturday, July 16th, 2016

It surprised Micah how little their relationship changed. They were the same as they'd been before, but with the romantic stuff added on top. It had taken a few weeks for him to get used to being able to touch her whenever he wanted, and there were still mornings where he woke up with a jolt of surprise that it hadn't been a dream. There hadn't been nearly as much of an adjustment period for Hayes, who was already a much more tactile person.

He had passed his psych eval and had returned to work in a temporary new building, but he was thinking of leaving the government and finding a new job. The political climate was taking a turn he wasn't entirely comfortable with and he wanted to distance himself from the impending shitshow before it was too late. He loved his work, and it was important work, but he couldn't handle the thought of intel he'd worked on being used by those who didn't understand that there were people on the other end of the report who lived and breathed and would be affected by whatever actions were taken.

Hayes had gotten a job under Dr. Kirschenbaum and was authenticating art pieces for the Smithsonian. She had a lead on an assistant curator position at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto, and he was more than happy to follow her north across the border if it meant she got one step closer to her dream job.

"Hey Micah?" Hayes asked. They were still in bed, not quite awake, and her voice was hoarse with sleep. "Were you for real?"

"About what?"

"About this being a forever kind of thing?"

"If you want it to be."

"But do you want it to be?"

"I do," he replied.

"Good." She paused, wiggling closer. "So do I."

He smiled softly at her, dropping a kiss onto the top of her head. "Good."

THE END