2. FAMILIA

I wake up to the sound of my alarm, and like every year on the first day of school, I get out of bed immediately. The snooze button becomes handy until week two, when all the excitement about the new school year fades away.

I make my way to the balcony doors and open my curtains, allowing the faint morning sunlight to creep inside my room.

The faint smell of pancakes, chorizo and eggs floods my room, and I smile. Mom is making breakfast. Usually, we all help, but it's the first day back, so she makes breakfast for everyone as a treat. But my sister Tori and I think that it's just because she's in a good mood for having all three of her girls back in school.

I make my way to my bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face. I apply light make up, and make a mental note to ask Caroline how to apply it properly. Over the summer I bought a lot of new stuff at Sephora but since I'm an amateur in make up I need to learn how to apply it properly. Especially now that I wanted to expand my collection.

After I'm done, I walk to my closet and pick out a pair of light blue jeans, a brown sweater, and my burgundy doc martens. Simple and comfy.

As I'm putting the sweater over my head, I hear my door open. I rapidly pull my sweater down my body and I see Danny, my nine-year-old sister, storming inside my room and like lightning, goes straight to my bathroom, slamming the door behind her.

"Daniela!" I shriek in annoyance, and begin start knocking on the door. "You know you're supposed to knock before you come into my room!"

"Ssh! I'm busy!" she retorts in her usual sassy tone, and I roll my eyes in annoyance.

"Go use your bathroom!" I tell her. As the oldest, my parents gave me the second biggest room of the house with its own bathroom, which left Tori and Danny to share the one in the hallway.

"Don't interrupt me," she calls. I usually don't mind if she needs to use it but one of my pet peeves, is people not knocking. Plus I still needed to do my hair. Well since it's short I can't really do much with it, but I still need to brush it.

The yelling and the slamming of doors must have caught my dad's attention, because he peeks his head in my room, "Que pasa?" What's happening? he asks, "Why all that yelling?"

His black and gray hair is already slicked back, and he's wearing his usual work attire. A suit and button up shirt. Sometimes a tie, depends on the day and his mood.

I cross my arms across my chest, "Danny, just stormed in here and locked herself in the bathroom. She better not stink it up!" I answer. I say the last part a little louder so that Danny can hear.

"I heard that!" Danny yells back.

I give my dad an are-you-serious? look, and he simply chuckles. "You're lucky mamá is down stairs and didn't hear all this."

"Tell her that," I reply, pointing at the bathroom door, "she's the one slamming doors."

"Okay, just stop yelling and get ready" he lightly scolds, but then smiles, "I don't want you guys to be late on your first day of school."

I open my mouth to complain, about the fact that he didn't scold Danny, but I decided to close it, and I nod instead. He then makes his way downstairs.

Being the youngest and the sassiest of all the Alvarez family, Danny, has always been able to get away with pretty much anything. Last year she broke one of windows while playing with a softball in the backyard. My parents both were pretty mad, but all she got was a long talk about how she has to take care of the house. I once broke a glass and got grounded for a week.