5. THE BREAKUP

"Why do we have to take the bus?" Tori complains as she lays on my bed.

Danny is standing in front of my bathroom sink as I am braiding her hair. She makes a face and gives me an is- she- serious- look through the mirror. I shrug in response.

"I take the bus everyday and I don't complain," Danny declares, crossing her arms.

I laugh, "Not everyone is as independent as you, Danny. You should be proud of that."

Her eyes immediately shine and she stands straighter. Danny lives for compliments, but I said was true. Out of the three, she's always been the most independent. She didn't cry on her first day of pre-school. Tori and I did.

"You hear that, Tori?" she mocks, looking out the bathroom door to Tori.

Tori sits up and rolls her eyes, "Oh yeah, don't you still sleep with Mr. Bunny?"

"Tori," I warn her, shooting her a look. I tap Danny on her shoulders, signaling her that I was done, "Don't listen to her, she's just jealous," I whisper lightly on her ear, and she smiles.

"Why can't Josh take us? Or Caroline?" Tori insists, and Danny sits next to her.

I sigh, "I'm not making Caroline drive all the way over here, and we can't depend on Josh all the time. He's leaving next year, remember?"

I exit the bathroom, and walk to my closet to grab a jacket. According to the weather channel today is going to be a chilly day.

Tori stays quiet for a few seconds thinking, "You know?" she starts, "If you had a boyfriend he could take us to school, and other places."

I laugh and look at her to see if she's being serious.

Danny's eyes sparkle, "he could take me too!"

Josh's warm smile immediately crosses my mind. Since his little confession yesterday, I couldn't keep him off of my mind. I shake my head trying to clear my thoughts. I could never do that to Lara Jean.

I take out my green hunter jacket, "Well if that's what it takes, then I guess we're stuck taking the bus and walking."

There was no way I was getting a boyfriend anytime soon. I don't need one. I'm a strong and independent girl that does not need a boy to distract her from school and her family. I'll stick to my little scenarios in my head, thank you very much.

"You're so lame", Tori grunts as she gets up from my bed.

I scoff, "Victoria, it's not that easy! Do you think I just make a wish and a boyfriend will appear?"

"If you wish really hard, then maybe," Tori retorts, and I throw one of my many pillows at her head.

"Shut up, Victoria."

Little Danny sighs, "She's right, Tessie," she starts making her way to the hallway, and Tori and I follow, "when you grow up, can I name all the cats you're going to have?"

I gasp and Tori giggles.

"Daniela, that is so rude," closing my bedroom door I say hurt, but at the same time trying to stifle a laugh at Danny's ten year old antics. "Both of you are extremely rude. Where is the respect? I'm your older sister," I exclaim.