8. PROPOSAL

"What if we let everyone believe that we were actually together?" Peter asks, nonchalantly.

I look at him as if he has grown an extra head.

"What?"

"Just for a little while," he corrects himself,  after seeing my puzzled face.

I shake my head, still in disbelief at his words, "Why would you want that?" I ask, looking up at him.

He looks at me as if the reason behind his stupid proposal is obvious, "For starters, when Gen heard you kissed me, she went nuts, and if she thinks you and I are a thing, she'll want to get back together."

His bluntness is just astounding really. Peter Kavinsky really doesn't give a fuck. Him and Gen might be broken up but clearly she still has him whipped.

And apparently he's down to do whatever it takes to get her back.

I take a step back, "Oh, so you wanna use me as your pawn?"

He gives me a knowing look, "Ah, well, see... Technically, you used me as your pawn first when you jumped me."

I shoot him a dirty look, and turn back to the door. I cannot believe the audacity of Peter Kavinsky to even propose something like this.

Completely and utterly ridiculous.

"It would help you out too, you know!" he calls, and I stop in place.

When I don't say anything, he takes my silence as an encouragement, "With that kid Josh, and Lara Jean."

I turn to face him slowly, "Keep talking."

He smirks, and I want to slap his stupid, perfect face. I'll slap myself too while I'm at it for even listening to him.

"Weren't you so worried about losing face in front of him and hurting Lara Jean?  This could save you from more humiliation and losing one of your closest friends. Because why would you be with him when you could be with me? Well, pretend be with me. Strictly business, though. I can't have you falling in love with me, too."

He's the cockiest guys I've met in my entire life, that's why it gives me great pleasure to tell him to straight to his gorgeous face, "Peter, I don't want to be your pretend girlfriend, much less your real one."

He blinks surprised and opens his mouth to say something but closes it again. Huh. I left him speechless once again.

I take this as my sign to turn my back and head to the house.

"You don't have to give me an answer now, just think about it, okay?" he calls.

"Yep. Don't hold your breath," I respond as I insert the keys in the door.

I go inside without looking back, but I can't help to wonder what people would think if they saw me holding hands with Peter Kavinsky down the hallways of Adler High.

After dinner, my parents decided it was my turn and Tori's to clean the kitchen. Something I wasn't too excited about because I knew she was going to interrogate me. Throughout, dinner she kept bumping her knee with mine, and giving me her knowing look.

"Spill the tea!" She exclaims the moment my parents and Danny walk out of the kitchen.

I sigh, "There's nothing to spill, Tori."

The last 24 hours have just been so exhausting and long that I don't want to talk about this mess anymore, let alone with Tori.

"Mom and dad are gonna freak when they find out you jumped a boy in the hallway—What example are you setting for your little sister?" she laughs, and I throw the kitchen towel at her.