2: The Beginning of Something Strange

"It is the beginning of something strange," said the news reporter as he stood on a glass littered street. The sound of breaking glass crunched beneath his feet. A crowd of confused spectators, emergency crews, and police officers filled the area behind him. Their lights flashing red and blue. "Today on the historic Bunker Hill down here in Los Angeles a bizarre event occurred. Witnesses are calling it abnormal, surreal, and some even go as to say supernatural. At around 7 AM this morning workers inside the building behind me began hearing a low rumble like thunder, then in mere seconds all the windows shattered. I have one witness here who was on the 54th floor during the event." The reporter shifted the microphone over to the woman standing next to him. "Care to comment on what happened?"

"It was insane!" cried the woman twisting nervously in place. "It was soft at first. The windows started to rattle. Next thing it sounded like a jet engine passing by. The windows cracked. We all rushed to the exits and BANG they exploded all the way down the side of the building like a shockwave."

"How do you feel seeing the destruction now?" asked the reporter.

"Freaked out," said the woman. "I can't explain what happened. Everyone is saying there were no planes in the area. I don't know. I really don't know."

"Well you heard it here first," said the reporter turning all attention back to himself. "The shockwave started on the 54th floor and then surged across a couple of city blocks." He started walking with the camera following him. "Every car," He pointed out, "Every glass window or mirror including the Wells Fargo Center, the Museum of Contemporary Art, and even the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels known for its beautiful glass work has been affected. Check out this cell phone footage posted to our social media page just minutes ago."

The cell phone footage showed windows rattling, a loud screech, and a bright light. The person filming was screaming.

"Oh man, what the hell is happening! Dude! Dude! Get away from the windows!"

Glass nearby burst and crashed around as the person rushed into the street. The video became blurred and ended with the sound of glass hitting concrete and people shouting. The reporter appeared once more on camera.

"Hundreds and I mean hundreds of people are coming forth with similar stories and videos. One witness described it as a sonic boom or even a woman screaming. There is no confirmation yet if there were any planes in the area that could have caused such a blast. Authorities do not suspect any terror threat at the moment, but to be safe and prevent looting they are evacuating and securing the area. Residents located within a five block radius of the blast are advised to stay indoors. Thankfully we can say that no one was seriously hurt during this bizarre event. More on this story as it develops. Back to you, Maxine."

"You're not still watching this are you?" said Barbara as she walked behind her mother seated in the rocking chair. She snatched the remote and lowered the volume. "You know it's a bunch of hogwash. Slow news day is what it is."

"It's important," said Grandmother Maggie as she snapped at her daughter, her white pigtails falling on the back of the chair. "This is the beginning of something big. Something is trying to come through from the other side. The world is changing."

"The only thing changing is my attitude." Barbara dropped the remote on the side table. "I don't think it is healthy watching that stuff." In spite of her daughter, Maggie reached over and raised the volume, but Barbara quickly unplugged the TV with her foot. She flipped the sheet over the screen.

"So what else am I supposed to do all day," said Maggie angrily tossing the remote. She folded her arms and sunk into her chair. "Eat, sleep? Grow older? Morir?" Barbara rolled her eyes as she exited to the kitchen to pour a bowl of cereal.

"Maybe get a hobby. Sew, knit, read a book. You know old people stuff." Barbara shoved a spoonful of cereal into her mouth. "Anything, mother, would do. Anything is better than that television. Laura!" Barbara called to the girl sitting on the couch. "Make sure you are all ready for school. We leave in a few minutes."

"Why can't I take the bus," snorted Laura. "I'm almost thirteen you know."

"No bus especially after Hope went missing. I don't trust it. Now make sure you have all your things." Laura pouted crossing her arms. Maggie leaned back and whispered.

"Don't let your mother get to you. She is stressed."

"Mi Abuelita," whispered Laura as she scooted behind her grandmother.

"What is it, mija?"

"It's Hope isn't it? The stuff happening on the TV. She is the one making things happen."

"Sí, sí." Maggie smiled at her granddaughter and brought a finger to her lips. "But it's our little secret. ¿Comprendio?" Laura nodded. "And if I know Hope, she has probably found a most beautiful place surrounded by tall trees and a cool mountain stream."

"I don't think so?"

"Why do you say that?" asked Maggie.

"Hope is still in the desert." Laura pulled out her sketch book and flipped to the most recent page. "I drew it last night." Sure enough she had drawn a picture of Hope, a man in a mangy green coat with long sleeves and top hat, a blue cat, and a young boy in a sling slowly trudging along hills of sand.