22: The Curious Incident of Castles in the Sky-- MAGGIE

Maggie awoke at precisely 5 o'clock every morning. She preferred to be up before the sun and the rest of the household. A time she used to gather her thoughts over a cup of coffee and the national news without any interruption. Typically at 6:30 she would wake up Laura to get her ready for school while Barbara rushed about the apartment bathing, fixing her hair, applying makeup, and putting on her scrubs. While she outlawed the language in her home, Barbara was a Spanish interpreter and secretary at the Open Care Clinic far across town. Apart from those hectic mornings this one was quiet. Thanksgiving Day meant school was out and places of business were closed. It seemed most of the world had decided to sleep in. Too bad for those late risers. They would miss a most curious event unfold live on national television.

Maggie was always excited about the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. She never missed the giant balloon characters arching over the streets of New York or the lively bands in their sparkling uniforms tooting joyously in the crisp fall air. When Laura and Hope were younger they would join her on the floor eating churros and popcorn while the faint sound of Latin music played in the background. Yet now that Laura was at that pivotal age of independent adolescence and Hope was off gallivanting in another world, Maggie was on her own this year with all the churros and popcorn one could eat. She waited a moment for Laura to catch the smell of the delightful treats and come bouncing down the hall to join her. Instead Jorge stepped out wearing baggy pants and an over-sized shirt.

"Buenos días, abuelita," he said sauntering into the kitchen to grab a glass of water. "¿Cómo estás?"

"Asi-asi," responded Maggie placing the tray of sweets and snacks on the coffee table. "¿Dormiste bien? Sleep well?"

"Eh," said Jorge plopping himself on the couch and placing his feet on the table next to the tray of food. His hair usually slicked back with gel was a tangled mess. Strands fell across his eyes while patchy stubble grew around his chin. "Aunt Barbara woke me with her snoring early this morning. I couldn't get back to sleep."

"Well I'm sure Laura would not mind you bunk with her tonight," she said giving Jorge a smile. "She seems to be over her cold and besides, that girl always said you were her favorite primo. If anything she could use the company."

"I'll definitely consider that," said Jorge eyeing the tray of sweets. He licked his lips. "I uh also couldn't help but smell your cooking. Do you mind?"

"Help yourself," said Maggie flipping through TV channels. "Made them early this morning. Still warm."

"Me muero de hambre!" Jorge snatched a handful in a napkin and delightfully cried out. "Oh so delicious." The corners of his eyes pinched with joy as his cheeks rose to join them. "Damn, I missed your cooking. Especially that pozole you used to make. Ugh, so good."

Maggie gave Jorge a snarky look.

"Mhmm," she hummed. "And still you chose to move back with your awful mother in Hollywood instead of sticking around where I could feed you all day. Sure Hollywood is more glamorous than Texas, but you had it really nice in Beaumont. A degree in sight, a place of your own, even a handsome young boyfriend." Maggie winked.

"Shh," hushed Jorge nearly tumbling off of the couch. "Not so loud. Mom doesn't know I'm gay."

"Ay, Dios! Then she is as dimwitted as ever. Why Barbara thought to call her here, I'll never know. She will drive this family to ruin." Maggie patted Jorge's thigh. "No te preocupes, mijo. I won't tell your mother, but remember no good will come from holding back secrets."

Jorge paused, placing a half eaten churro back on the napkin.

"I might tell you the same thing, abuelita." Maggie crunched on a handful of popcorn.