9: Black City Under Blue Sky

A glowing halo of light began to invade the darkness. The edge of the gorge rose up to the bright blue sky as we slowly ascended the gentle slope. I breathed a sigh of relief feeling the warm sun touch my skin.

At the surface snaking passed a shallow valley of farming terraces, a gigantic city emerged from the barren rock. I stood for a moment to catch my breath and gawk at the fantastical sight. Such places only existed in the imagination of artists or so I believed. No architect on earth could create the scene that stood before me now. Situated on a lonely floating island the city hovered above a bottomless pit. On all sides black waterfalls plunged over the edge; the murky water vanishing to a sea of endless night.

Three bridges crossed the great chasm. Each entryway guarded by two soldiers dressed in black cloaks with white diamonds sewn in like starry constellations. Far in the back of the black city a single mountain rose up. Carved into the mountainside a castle peeked through. Towers and warped spires curved out of the jagged cracks to bend in ways stone should not normally move. Pillars of smoke twisted into the atmosphere, and in the city's heart a grand Romanesque colosseum displayed the colors of the nation with flags of red, black, and silver. The city breathed an aura of wonderment and foreboding. It was a fortress meant to keep invaders out and the citizens safe within, yet nothing safe emanated from the gaze of its uncongenial guards as they observed our approach.

A stench of fire filled the ash fallen air and tickled my nose. My chin cowered into my collar, and my palms sweat from a nervous anticipation. Somewhere within the city's proud black walls was our prison, a destination worth no welcome.

"Ain't she an impressive beauty," said Heist taking a long look at the city. His egregious smile more impressive than the city itself.

"It's nice," I replied as my face filled with concern.

"Just wait till we cross the bridge. There is a legend that the rocks were once as white as starlight until a dragon came to rest in the mountain and the fire from his belly singed the rock from within turning it black for all times. Isn't that cool!"

"Heist!" yelled Xuxa from the front. "Are you mingling with the prisoners again?"

"Just taunting their petty lives, General!" he called out while jabbing me with the butt of his staff.

Xuxa rolled her eyes.

"Very well. Carry on."

I looked over at Owen. He was shaking in terror. Something about the city had him spooked.

"Owen, what's going on?" I whispered.

"We should have never let that sand dune take us across the desert. We would have been better off tempting fate in the wilderness than being brought here. You see those three bridges?"

"Yeah," I said.

"The one on the left is Virtus, the right one is Vice, and the one we are headed to is Mortem."

"Latin," I whispered. "Virtue, vice, and death. I forget this world has mingled with Earth. That explains the Latin names."

"The names are not the point." Owen sighed. "Those three bridges are the only way in and out of this city. Once you go passed the gates, you are trapped. Unless that is you want to jump. I've seen it countless times for people trying to escape."

"What do you know about this place? What are you hiding?"

Zeno leaned in on our conversation.

"What are we whispering about?"

"We need to get out of here before we reach Mortem bridge." Owen looked at me. "Now would be a good time to make use of that Mirrorbender magic."

"You know I can't scry without a reflective surface. They took my father's mirror. I'm useless."