25: Mirror Majesty --- HOPE

We waited for over an hour as the Court of High Heels and their entourage of fiercely dressed assistants prepared to exit the courtroom. Some members with excessively ridiculous high heels including the court chancellor, Lucinder, had to be hoisted from their standing positions by five or more strong men and onto small movable platforms in order to leave. I gawked at the grueling display, feeling almost a smidgen of embarrassment to be part of the human race that would allow for such absurdity. It made me recall those days not long ago when on Earth I was ridiculed for wearing hand-me-down clothes and not the latest name brand fashions. It seemed so pointless to worry about what to wear if the purpose was centered around fitting in or showing off.

Soon my eyes turned to the floor with its black carpet spotted with white flowers. I thought of the agreement I had made with the court to kill the dragon in exchange for my and my group's freedom. The idea plunged me into deep regret and turned my stomach into knots. I didn't know a thing about fighting dragons except from what I had read in books. But those books were from Earth where dragons weren't real. This was Tartarus. Who knew what dragons were like here. I rubbed my hands nervously across the wooden arm of the chair, unable to keep still.

"Hey," said Owen noticing my uncomfortable twiddling. He placed his hand on mine. "It's going to be alright."

"A dragon!" I cried, obnoxiously. My nostrils flared as I exhaled. "Owen, they want me to fight a dragon."

"I doubt there even is a dragon," he said, glancing at the squad of Juprus soldiers. His voice dropped to a whisper. "You know as well as I it was no dragon that attacked Bristondale."

"Get up, fairy lovers," growled one of the soldiers, wacking his spear against Zeno's boot. "Time for the Mirrorbender to see the king and time for the rest of you to head out."

Zeno rose swishing his long sleeved coat as he traversed over to my side. He reached out and helped me to my feet.

"Now you give that king a good what for," he said, flipping back his hair. His smile and soft gaze beamed beneath his top hat. He rubbed my shaking hands. "All pins and needles, eh. Don't you worry, Hope."

From inside of the top hat meowed Hijinx's shrill voice.

"We will be with you in spirit."

"You're not going with me?" I said, nervously.

"Afraid not," said Heist coming up beside me. His hand gripped my shoulder. "The king requested only you. And as for your friends, they will be shown to their rooms. Trust me. No cold wet dungeon tonight."

"That's a relief," cooed Gorin. He tugged at his vest as the soldiers ferried him and the others away. "Good luck, Mirrorbender."

Divide rushed to my side and crouched down by my leg. She made a displeased expression.

"Looks like you're starting to bleed a little through the wrappings." She encircled my leg with another round of cloth bandages. "I'll clean it when you get back. Just don't run on it or you'll split the stitches. And this is for the pain." She handed me a brown leafy ball. "Try to swallow it quickly. It's best not to chew it. Very bitter."

As soon as the medicine ball touched my tongue, my face puckered in revulsion. I managed to get it down without making too many gagging noises. A numbing feeling tingled across my body.

"Thanks," I said. Divide nodded and then joined the others.

My small band of friends gave me one final look before the soldiers banged their spears on the floor and led them off into an adjoining room. Heist let go of my shoulder and turned to the soldiers dressed in black.