viii. The Tale of Davina Covey

Chapter EightThe Tale of Davina Covey

Chapter Eight
The Tale of Davina Covey

✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧ ─ ✧

      Davina had long forgotten about her homework. James' eyes stared solely at her as the thought of Lily Evans observing them with a glare escaped her mind. "You go first," Davina said to James.

      "I love Chocolate Frogs more than I probably should," he laughed.

      "That is hardly a secret, James Potter."

      "How would you know that?"

      "Last year, I heard you bet Sirius that if you could eat three dozen of them in a sitting then he had to run the same amount of laps around the Quidditch field," Davina stated in a matter of fact. James leaned back against the chair and laughed. "When you won, you yelled in the Great Hall about it. McGonagall looked like she was going to have a fit."

      "Surprised you remember that, Covey," James gave her a charming bashful smile. "Your turn, I suppose."

      "Sometimes when I'm home, I lock myself in my room and jam to Sinatra and the Beatles," Davina said, the corners of her lips lifting up in a smile.

James raised an eyebrow, "That's what you call a secret, Covey? Bloody hell."

"You told me about pudding!"

He let out a low laugh. "Alright, alright. I suppose you got me. Okay, let me do better than..."

Davina watched him think for a moment. There was a lining between his eyebrows as he thought, a crease that wouldn't be noticed unless you were intently staring at James Potter's face the way Davina Covey was. His expression fell into an emotion that Davina cults decipher.

"Sometimes at night, I think about the future," He said. "Not like seventh year or anything, but after. You know when we graduate. And being out there in the world seems as if it's so far, but it's not. I just don't think I'm ready."

      Davina listened intently and held a small smile as he spoke in such a maudlin way. His eyes glanced up and he cleared his throat, "Don't mind that. Your turn."

      "Well, I actually thought you were very brave admitting that. You always seem so willing to conquer the world, it's nice to know you have worries like the rest of us," Davina laughed lightly, turning her gaze away from him. James raised an eyebrow at her words, "What do you mean by that?"

      She shrugged. "Not much, really. It's not—"

      "I thought we said no secrets, Covey?"