after forever (sequel to forever and always) - jojo de la guerra

The year after Albert's passing was the hardest. Even though you hadn't seen him for years, you still knew he was out there somewhere and now that he's not there, it's like you lost him all over again but two hundred times worse. The newsies that were closest to Albert, Race, Jojo, Buttons, and Elmer, helped you through the loss but you knew they were hurting as well.

The second year after his passing was a little easier. Your smile came through more freely and you found Albert not consuming your thoughts every day. Yes, he came up frequently, but they were good memories. Memories of eating sticky ice cream on the corner of a street in the middle of a warm July was what was most prominent. You and the other boys would share those memories and they helped patch up the hole in your heart that formed when you lost Albert DaSilva.

Looking up from your notebook where you wrote down the stories that you and your friends shared about Albert, you made eye contact with Jojo and giggled as he dropped his left eye into an over exaggerated wink. "Whatchya doin over there?"

"Not much, just writing." You replied, shutting the leather bound book Davey had given you. "What are you doing?"

"Waiting for you to invite me to cuddle with you so that I can hold you." Jojo replied, already moving to crawl into the bunk that you sometimes stayed in after a long day of selling.

"Well, you've already invited yourself," you replied, yawning and moving over in the bed so that Jojo could crawl in next to you. Giggling as he made his way closer to you, you made grabby hands at him and he slid into the bed next to you.

Pulling you closer to him, Jojo let out a deep breath. "When will you let me finally take you on a date?"

Moving so that your nose was in his neck, you smiled at the familiar smell of Jojo. "You really think that's a good idea? I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea about me. You know, they might think that I'm a bit of a slag if I start to date anyone after Albert passed away."

Jojo pressed a kiss into the top of your hair and traced his fingers softly up and down your back. "(Y/N), it's been two years. I think they're more worried that you haven't starting seeing anyone since. But, we could change that easily."

You could hear the teasing in his voice as you rolled your eyes. "Jojo, you know I like you but-"

"Ha! You like me? Wow, who would have thought?" Jojo remarked and you laughed, slapping his chest lightly.

"Shut up,"

"Make me," Jojo whispered, bringing his face down close to you and you smiled softly, grabbing the back of his next and pulling him down the rest of the way.

Jojo's lips were soft but fervent and you found yourself quickly wanting more. Instead of giving in to those urges, you put your hands on Jojo's chest and gently pushed him back. "Well that was efficient."

"You sure know how to make a man swoon, (Y/N)." He joked, leaning down to press a soft kiss to your lips once more before moving to get up. When he heard you whine, he chuckled. "There's somethin' I gotta do. I'll be back, okay?"

Grumbling about him leaving, you released your grip on Jojo, rolling onto your side and closing your eyes, falling into a deep sleep.

-

Three days later on your lunch break, Mr. DaSilva approached you, a dark shadow taking over his otherwise bright features. "I was startin' to clear out some of Al's stuff the other day. Y'know, makin' room for one of the younger ones to get their own room." You nodded, a pit of dread forming in your stomach as you stopped to think about what Mr. DaSilva was going to say. "I found somethin' you might want." He held out a piece paper that was folded up, your name written on top.

You smiled gratefully at Mr. DaSilva and stood up, giving him a hug and taking the note from him. "Thanks, I appreciate it." He took one last look at you and walked away, wiping the stray tears that was falling down his face.

Looking down at the paper and unfolding it, you took a deep breath and began to read.

Dear (Y/N),

If you're reading this, I'm probably dead and dad is trying to clean out my room, since this note was hidden in an old newspaper. Dad probably got rid of the newspaper, but there's a reason that I didn't. It was a newspaper from the first day I saw you since you came back to New York: April 4th. You didn't look much different; your hair has changed but you still had the same look in your eyes from when we were kids: longing. Davey taught me that word since I didn't know how to describe it."

Looking up from the note, you laughed, wiping at your nose.

I'm sorry that I didn't talk to you sooner (I'm assuming that we did talk at one point but if not, I'm sorry we didn't) when I saw you again. I was afraid, afraid that you wouldn't recognize me or that you would hate me. But I was most afraid that you would love me. Because I am not the person you would want. I couldn't provide for you the way someone else would. And you deserve better than me. But it doesn't matter now, because I'm writing this as I'm dying. The doctor said that it's not normal for someone to not sweat out the alcohol. But he also said that he's never had someone drink a whole bottle of vodka within 20 minutes.

(Y/N), I want you to be happy. I don't want you sitting around and pining over my death, that's not right. I love you, I just want you to know that. And I'm sorry you're finding out all of this information in a stupid letter instead of me being there. I could keep this letter going on forever, but I don't think Davey wants to help me write any more of it so I'm just going to say one more thing: I will love you. Forever and always.

Love,

Albert

After finishing the letter, you sat there just staring at it, small tears pouring down your cheeks. Jumping as a hand touched your shoulder, you quickly closed the letter, turning towards the person who was still touching you softly. "Jojo, hi."

"Hey, are you okay? I've been calling your name for about 3 minutes now." He had a smile on his face but you could tell that he was worried.

"Yeah, I'm fine," You replied, standing up and brushing off your pants.

Holding out your hand, you grabbed Jojo's left one and he looked at you, a small smile on his face. "What's this about?"

You started walking, pulling him with you and Jojo's face broke out into a huge smile. "Someone important helped me realize that I can't not live my life because I'm sad. I'm gonna miss Albert every day but I cannot let that dictate my life. Jojo, I like you a lot. And I'm not gonna mess up this opportunity because I'm sad."

Jojo stopped, pulling on your arm so you would stop as well. "Are you saying what I think you're saying?" You nodded, your wide smile matching Jojo's and he pulled you close, his lips brushing against yours. "I'm the luckiest guy out there."

You pressed your lips against his quickly and mumbled quietly, "If you're lucky, then I'm even luckier, because I have you."