don't hurt them - race higgins

"I hate you!" You screamed at your brother's friend, Racetrack Higgins. You had been on a nice date with a boy named Spot Conlon from Brooklyn and then in walks Race, who walks right up to you and says that Finch got in a big fight with the Delancey's. You left right then, running to your brother, who was very confused when you were checking him for injuries.

Race just didn't want you on a date with Spot so he made up a story to get you out of there. Now, you were currently yelling at the blond boy, upset for interrupting a perfectly nice date. "You don't hate me, (Y/N). Don't be stupid."

"Okay so first you ruin my date and now you call me stupid? What are you gonna do next, tell me you killed my dog?" Your fists were clenched, fingernails digging into your palms.

Race reached out for your left hand, uncurling it and rubbing a rough thumb over the crescent shaped marks that were starting to bleed on your palms. "Spot Conlon's scary, I didn't want you'se gettin' hurt, is all."

You felt your resolve start to dissolve as you looked at his blue eyes, so sincere that you couldn't help but believe him. "I can take care of myself. I've been puttin' up with all you Newsies for years."

Race repeated his actions on your right hand, lightly kissing your palm after he was done. "You're right, I'm sorry."

You smirked slightly at the boy who's patterned shirt was haphazardly buttoned. "I never thought I'd live to hear the Racetrack Higgins apologize."

"You don't hate me, right?" Race's voice was soft. You reached your hand out to cup his face and he leaned into your touch.

"Race, I could never hate you. Even though I might try, I wouldn't be able to." Race's hands were on your hips, pulling you closer to him. His lips ghosted overs yours and you sighed, pushing him back lightly. His hands still rested on your hips, your hands sliding to his shoulders. "We can't. Finch'll kill you. And me."

Race rolled his eyes. "I ain't scared of Finch."

You looked at him pointedly. "Have you ever seen me with a boy besides you or Albert?" Race thought about this for a moment and shook his head no. "That's because my brother threatens boys with his slingshot."

"I'm not letting whatever this," Race gestured slightly between you both before retiring his hand back to your hip. "Is go. (Y/N), you'se special to me."

You rested your forehead against Race's, biting your lip slightly. "If Finch kills you, don't blame me."

Your curly haired boy looked at you with a wide grin, an unspoken question in his eyes. You nodded slightly, already moving your lips to meet his eagerly.

"Ew!" Your brother's voice caused you to pull away from Race quickly. "I came in to make sure you guys didn't kill each other because it got quiet but I guess I know now why it got quiet."

You looked nervously at Finch. "You're not gonna kill him are you?"

Finch sent a nasty glare at Race. "Not now but if you hurt them, I'll kill ya Higgins."

Race grinned at you again, pressing a light kiss to your lips. "I'd never dream of hurtin' them."