Two Broken Hearts

Alex's POV:

Days dragged by without news from Maia, I wasn't expecting them either. I had never seen her so broken since she'd found out about that text. I knew I'd fucked up, but I had great intentions behind it actually. Once again, I repeated to myself: you need to start thinking stuff twice before you do them. As for me, I secluded myself at home, only going out with Twister for a walk. I hadn't even tried calling Miles or one of the Monkeys to see how they were doing. I was worn out, and I needed time by myself to think.

If there was one good thing that had come out of all this mess, was that I had actually managed to get some song writing done, which given the current state I found myself in, was something to be proud of. The songs sounded different than what I had been working on in the past. They were more reckless, juvenile, and whimsical. They had a tough sound, something more rock and roll. It was love and disdain at the same time, it was every teenager's romantic life, and I could relate with all of it. The image of Maia in my shirt and her knee socks had been rumbling in my head for days, and it had been the reason that first got me to put my ass to work. How wild she looked, untidy, completely pissed, but still as explosive as ever. All the nights I had called her, sometimes drunk, sometimes not; it felt so strange not to do it anymore, and I couldn't help but wonder if she felt the same way as I did. It was all going back and forth through my mind, so in the past days I had dedicated myself to putting those thought into words. Suddenly, I was taken out of my thoughts by my phone going off. I picked it up and answered, not even bothering to have a look at who might it be. I threw myself on the couch, taking my phone to my ear, and was actually shocked when I heard a familiar female voice on the other end.

"Maia?" I asked surprised after she had greeted me. Now this was unexpected.

"Hey" She softly said. "I wanted to apologize"

"Mai, there's nothing to apologize for"

"No, listen, it was wrong. I mean, you messed up pretty good, but still, I've come to realize you were probably right. It would have been way better if I had never found out about that text. I don't even want to think about it. So, yeah... I'm sorry for the way I acted"

"Don't worry about it, Mai. I fucked up pretty good, I thought you were never going to want to see me again" She laughed, and it filled me with relief to hear that everything was fine now.

"I mean, I'm not going to lie to you, you're a fucking dick. I kind of hated you when I found out about the text, but then I thought about it. You were right, Alex. It's useless. He wanted some time away, then he should have it. I need to move on"

"I'm sorry, Mai" Even when I was bursting of happiness to hear her say "I need to move on", I still felt a little taken aback whenever she talked about Ken. She sounded like she actually missed him, and that even though she needed to get a move on, it was being hard on her.

"Don't, there's nothing to be sorry about. Anyways, given that I need to get moving, I thought we could go out somewhere. I don't know, probably get drunk or something, just have fun. I mean, it's Saturday, and you said you were going to take me to that dance club I told you about at the jam. Remember?"

"Oh... yeah" I couldn't believe she had remembered that. It's not like I didn't want to take her, but I was definitely up for some self-shaming at the club. I was a terrible dancer, and she was probably a pro at dancing those latin american songs she would go crazy with. I could already imagine her hips moving along the beat as I was going terribly crazy about her.