fourteen.

long time coming

The next week, Tessa returned back to the academy along with the other recruits. Even though she had briefly been there the week before, she still missed the place.

She was sitting at her desk when a knock came at her door, making her look up from her laptop. The girl gets up to open it, a wide smile appearing on her face.

"Oh my god, Peter!" Tessa squeals, jumping up into his arms.

The Blake boy chuckles as he squeezes her, the both of them incredibly happy to see each other.

"Three and a half weeks is a long time, huh?" He says, letting her down with a bright face.

"Yeah, too long. Let's never do that again."

The two recruits make their way to the common room, finding a quiet corner to curl up on one of the couches.

"So, how was England?" She asks him.

A heavy sigh comes from the boy, his eyes widening. "Interesting. My dad's got a new girlfriend, and well – I guess I got some lovin' too."

"Ooh! With who?"

"One of my best mates. Turns out he's been in love with me since we were kids, and when I came back, he confessed to me," Peter tells her, his eyes sparkling. "Even though we had our fun, it's nothing serious."

"What? But he's in love with you!" The girl pouts.

Peter shakes his head, a look of guilt washing over his face. "I only come home once a year, and he doesn't wanna move here. I'm not keen for a long distance relationship."

"Distance shouldn't prevent love." Tessa says.

"Well, in this case, it does."

The two continue to catch up for the next couple of hours, almost missing their first practical session since being back.

They make their way to the academy's gym, being greeted by the captain and an obstacle course set out.

"Warm up first!" Captain Johnson yells out as he sees some recruits eager to start the course, making everyone pair up on the mats.

Peter holds Tessa down as she starts her sit ups, seeming to be in deep thought about something.

"What's up?" The girl asks him, looking at him every time she comes up.

"Something else happened while I was gone," The boy admits, looking troubled. "Dillon messaged me – apologised about being a dick."

Tessa's stomach starts to burn as she continues the exercise. "And? Did you reply?"

"Yeah. We had a good chat, actually. He's not that bad of a guy."

The brunette stops and looks at him with suspicion. Her friend shrugs back.

"What? Did he message you?" He asks.

"Nope, he can't."

The Blake boy furrows his eyebrows as she finishes her last sit ups. "Why not?"