7. Fast in My Car

"We're driving fast in my car
We've got our riot gear on but we just want to have fun
No we're not looking for violence, no oh oh oh
Tonight we want to have fun"
-Fast in my car (Paramore)

Ash and I are suckers for photography class. Mr. Lowery is one of our favorite teachers. He dresses as if it were still the 1980's and manages to find a way to compare our projects to rock and roll.

We especially loved it when he let us do group projects together. When he told the class we could do whatever we want, as long as it was done by Friday, we almost couldn't contain ourselves. We spent most of lunch brainstorming ideas.

"What about pictures of the sunset?" Ashton asked with a giant mouthful of food.

"How original," I sarcastically mutter.

"How original," he mocks after setting his sandwich down. "Rori, we can't be original every time we do a project. Sometimes I just want a grade."

"Ash, the whole reason we took photography in the first place was for creative freedom," I remind him.

"We can always ask Andy for ideas?" Calum asked while opening up our lunch. I've stopped bringing my own lunch when I learned Calum was going to continuously bring me strawberries and whatever else he feels like eating. I refused his offer the first few times, but he kept bringing the food, anyway. I finally gave in the day I was late (due to Ashton) and forgot to pack my food. Since then, it's become a habit to share with Calum.

"Don't get me wrong, Andy is an amazing photographer, I just feel like this is something Ash and I should work on without any outside help." Calum and Michael have shown us some of Andy's work. He even printed a picture out for me that he took of the boys the night we went to the bonfire together. I keep it up on my wall next to all my favorites.

"I kind of like the idea of working with Andy," Ashton admitted. "We always work together, why don't you do yours by yourself and I work with Andy?"

At first I thought the was joking. We've done every project together since the first day we joined the class. Andy doesn't even go to this school, not to mention, we hardly even see him. How does he expect to get this project done by Friday if it's already Wednesday and he doesn't even know how to contact Andy?

Then I realized he was completely serious. He wanted to do this one without me, and it kind of hurt. I didn't want to overreact, though, so I put on a fake smile and nod my head. "Yeah, I'm sure I can figure something out."

"Great!" Ashton exclaimed cluelessly taking another bite.

I didn't pay much attention as Michael spoke to Ashton and Luke. Calum must have noticed because he turned to me with curiosity written all over his face.

"Do you work today?" He asked.

"No, Leah and David asked to cover our shifts today. Something about saving up for Christmas, I think."

"Do you have any plans?" I look over at Ashton to see him going through Mikey's phone. He must be looking up Andy's number.

"I guess not," I say while turning back to Cal. He glanced at the boys before turning back to me with a questioning look, but he chose not to bring it up.

"Good, because you do now," he grinned. "My mom doesn't believe me when I tell her I've made two new friends and I think it's time to prove her wrong."

Despite being slightly upset with Ashton, Calum made me laugh. He just has this sort of magic in him that makes you forget about things.

School quickly passed and I soon found myself following the Maori boy into his home. The welcoming two story house was decorated from wall to wall with pictures of his family and dog. His living room and kitchen were an open floor-plan. The couch had decorative pillows scattered across it, and the coffee table had some candles, along with a few magazines and books. Overall, it was extremely neat and organized: the polar opposite of my house.