Knight of Converse - Chapter four

Knight of Converse
Chapter four

So I had arrived home a little too early. Clearly, my spur of the moment decision to pull the fire alarm was not as well thought out and clever as I had previously assumed it to be. As soon as I walked through the threshold of my house I was going to be interrogated like no man’s business. What was stupider of me was that I had chosen the day that dad was working from home to pull this stunt; which made my situation a little more tricky considering this morning’s events and his now tenacious urge to get me into trouble with mom.

Yes, I was about to lie my ass off.

As slowly and as noiselessly as I possibly could, I inserted my key into the hole and unlocked the door. Maybe I could get upstairs without being seen. I tiptoed inside and turned back to close the front door quietly. As soon as I closed the door I turned around and jumped a mile into the air as I was confronted with mom’s curious face and green eyed stare.

“Why are you acting like a thief? You do remember that you live here?”

“OhmyGod mom you scared the crap out of me!” I screeched and held a hand to my speeding heart. I almost had a heart attack! She could make a good rapist.

Her face was blank. “That wasn’t my intention.”

She could be so weird sometimes…“Why were you standing behind me all silent like a creeper!?”

“Why were you trying to be so quiet?” She raised her arched eyebrow.

I scratched the back of my head. “Uhh, well… I was trying to scare you… of course…” I stumbled over the blatant lie of the words. Somehow lying to mom was much scarier than lying to dad.

“I could hear you from my bedroom upstairs.”

“You came down the stairs?! How did I not hear that?!”

She shrugged and winked. “Ninja moves.”

I fake shuddered. “No, mom, don’t say stuff like that. You’re a grown woman. It’s weird. And you have supersonic hearing, that’s your problem.”

“I’m a mother, it comes with the job.”

I dramatically gasped. “Agile speed, stealthy discreetness, acute sense of hearing…”

She grinned, “That’s right. I’m a superhero.”

“Were you a rapist in your former life?” I winked at her as her grin dropped.

“You have a filthy mouth. Just like your father.”

“I reeeeally don’t want to know what kind of kinky things he likes to do to you.”

Rolling her eyes, she turned around and I followed her into the living room where dad was seated on his laptop. As soon as I caught sight of him I quickly tried to make a dash for my room but of course, he had spotted me, and the interrogation began. Shit.

“Why aren’t you at school?” He immediately asked.

“Oh yeah, you aren’t.” Mom caught on and raised her eyebrows.  

I slowly turned around. “Well you see the thing is…” I looked at both of my parents who sat patiently, waiting for an explanation. I put on my best casual look before I started to lie. Well, a little more than slightly manipulate the truth.

“Why don’t you just get to the point?” Dad deadpanned. My eye twitched in annoyance.

“Oh, we were sent home—”