Chapter 8

She was halfway across the front lawn when the rapid footfalls echoed around her like an approaching tornado. The boys were coming after her; they were, in fact, attacking from all angles. Her head swam and the world turned into a smeared watercolor.

"No!" She held up her hands and ran for the sidewalk, but it wasn't there anymore. Only grass. Grass everywhere. A goddamn field stretched before her into infinity. The house across from 51 Mangle Lane was there but so damn far away. She couldn't run that far. What the hell happened? I've been drugged, too.

On her desk in math class, someone had carved, Hudson House is cursed. Her mother told her when Vanessa was in grade school to stay away from that house, that bad things happened there. That meant Hox, didn't it? And he was in prison, wasn't he?

Something crashed into her, drove her to the ground. Blades of grass sprung up around her like giant trees. They canopied above her and someone, a giant, too, stood over her like a god. It was a huge, hulking shadow before towering black trees, like something grown in Hell. This is the last image I'm ever going to see, she thought.

It would have been easier for her if that were true.