chapter two.

and so i say oh beautiful devil,
won't you dance with me tonight?

- - -

"My name is Orochimaru." 

His smile was the sweetest thing in the world; timid and small but true. It lit up his eyes that were the colour of molten gold; the colour I supposed Icarus' wings were as they melted on his back from the heat of the sun. 

Icarus was an incredibly well put interpretation for Orochimaru, I thought faintly. Icarus was a boy confined to his tower, and once he escaped he flew too high to the sun; to what his heart desired most, and plummeted to the deadly sea below. Orochimaru was similar; escaping his village in search of the power he so desired only to lose himself along the way, falling victim to his own shortcomings before he was eventually, although too late, redeemed.

He took my hand and I pulled him to his feet with a smile but my heart was caught in my throat. Almost unbelieving of his words, was this really was Orochimaru? This little boy who was playing catch with himself turned into a deranged man that experimented on adults and children? This little boy became obsessed with living forever and learning every jutsu there was to learn? I suppose it didn't really surprise me, he looked so familiar when I greeted him but I hadn't put two and two together. Maybe some part of me I hadn't wanted to recognize him, didn't want to understand that the boy who would grow to become a murder was, at this time, just a boy. 

Part of me whispered that taking a sharp rock to Orochimaru's skull would do the world a buck load of favours for the future but another part scolded that part of my head and I swear there were a few low chuckles that echoed throughout my mind. Was schizophrenia something common in the Haruno family? Sakura had had Inner which was kind of like having schizophrenia so maybe it was? Was schizophrenia even known about in this time? Were mental illnesses even considered? It was something I'd definitely have to dwell on later, I supposed.

I gave Orochimaru a smirk and pulled my hand out of his, "Nice to meet you, serpent boy."

Orochimaru gave a timid laugh, "I say the same to you, hollyhock."

I grinned at him, pushing away the vile thoughts of pounding in his skull for the better of the future. Doing so would help no one, it would do nothing but take away one evil. Right now, right now Orochimaru was nothing more than a child. A child that could still be swayed to do good, a child that could go down the right path with someone's help.

'What about Yamato?' A voice in my mind hissed, 'Who'll stop Naruto from raging if Yamato doesn't have the mokuton?'

I selfishly shoved the thought away, it wouldn't be my problem when that time came. I didn't want to think about those things, and besides, think of all the children that'll survive! All the children that would grow and never be experimented on if I were to help Orochimaru!

'Hiruzen wanted Orochimaru for Hokage, so what of Minato hmm?' The voice leered out in my mind and frowned unhappily at the reminder; I didn't have time for these thoughts damn it! Who cares if Minato never learns the reaper seal, if I do something then I could potentially keep Obito from even attacking and Minato and Kushina could live happily!

Orochimaru leaned forward a bit, confusion written on his face, "Are you okay, Aoi?"

"I'm just fine," I said faintly, "Just thinking about some things, it's fine."

"You're sure?" Orochimaru frowned, "Maybe we shouldn't go over to the sandpit, do you want to sit down?"

"No!" I snapped out, before carefully breathing, gently placing my hands over his, "Sorry, no I'm fine. Let's head to the sandpit Orochimaru."

'This is selfish you know,' The voice mused quietly and Aoi could imagine a Cheshire grin going alongside its tone, 'Playing the hero when you know letting him die now would do so much more good.'

I ignored the voice, focusing instead on the way Orochimaru had carefully entwined his hand with mine as we walked towards the sandpit. Maybe it was wrong of me to play the hero, maybe it was wrong of me to try and change Orochimaru without him ever realizing what I was doing but I'd rather try and change him than try and kill him.

I heard a voice in my head scoff at my decision and frowned again, whatever, worse came to worse I could try and find a way to make a seal that would allow me to pull a Wanda—seals, to my knowledge, could do anything after all.

And I was willing to do anything.

- - -

AN: Pull a Wanda? Anyone who is currently watching WandaVision knows what I'm talking about, of course, if you aren't watching WandaVision then uh, idk what to tell you, go watch it, become a Vision simp like the rest of us.

This is Edited!! Fun times, fun times, updating references, adding in new ones, making chapters longer: that's the fun stuff alright!!

anyways, we love the mental struggle of kill Orochimaru or cuddle Orochimaru both options are acceptable I guess, but only one writes a crack story! (Unless, of course, the story is about failed assassination attempts on Orochimaru's life, lol.)