Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

tradition is what defines them.

The Haruno clan were merchants that had settled in Konoha long ago. They were large enough to have their own clan compound and sold medicines and some clan members became genjutsu specialists because of war. 

The first clan leader of the Haruno clan was Haruno Sayuri and her husband Haruno Minoru, the main family would then have a single daughter by the name of Haruno Ayaka and two miscarriages. Ayaka would grow into a fine clan leader and would marry Haruno Kaoru, they would have four children. The oldest one, a girl, would be named Haruno Rei. Their second child, another girl, would be named Haruno Rina. The third child, a boy this time, would be named Haruno Ren and the last child, another girl, would be named Haruno Riko. 

The four children would grow in Konoha and integrate their clan into Konoha. While Haruno Rei would marry a Haruno boy the other children would be married off to other clans. Rina would marry into the Iburi clan and become a wife to the clan head Iburi Kouki. Ren would marry into the Nohara clan, marrying a woman named Nohara Aya and later practicing in the art of medical ninjutsu. Riko would marry into the Kurama clan, becoming the wife to Kurama Isamu.

Haruno Rei would later have two children with her husband, Haruno Kyou. The oldest daughter would be named Haruno Misaki while the youngest would be named Haruno Mio. Haruno Misaki, as per tradition, was set to marry a Haruno boy but fell in love with a man by the name of Yamanaka Souma. This would thrust her from her spot as heir to leading the clan and Haruno Mio would become the next clan leader marrying a man named Haruno Naoki. 

Misaki would later have twins, the father being Yamanaka Souma, the oldest would be named Yamanaka Hoki and the younger twin would be Haruno Niko. Five years later, however, Misaki would get pregnant after partying at a bar. Souma would urge her to get an abortion and in another world, Misaki wouldn't go against her husband and would simply do as he said. But in this world Misaki had refused to do as her husband suggested and had the baby, claiming they would love her as they loved their other children.

And thus Haruno Aoi was born in all her pink hair red-eyed glory. 

Misaki, a proud woman that loved her children with all her heart, was late to her own daughters birthday. She had worked the late shift and begged the other girls to take her shift but had been ignored and then, of course, her husband got held up on the construction site. She had rushed to the school her twins and nephew attended and had to have an impromptu meet and greet with their sensei because apparently Niko couldn't behave and Hoki was starting fights with other kids. Haruno Kohaku would sit there awkwardly the entire time.

So when Misaki finally had her family rounded up she got them dressed and stopped by her sister's house where her sister and mother were waiting for her. Mio and Rei would smile at the stressed woman and the group of seven would make their way to the party two hours behind schedule, and seeing as it would take a near hour to get to the Senju compound with the pace her mother was walking Misaki knew she would be the terrible mother who was late to Aoi's everything. 

Hell, Misaki had forgotten all about Aoi's birthday last year, they literally did nothing for her and she didn't say anything! Misaki knew Aoi was a smart little girl, a prodigy even! But she also knew that even prodigies needed attention. She was still a child and yet here Misaki was, three hours late to her own child's birthday party.

But maybe it was a good thing she was late she thinks when she sees the state of chaos the party was in. The streamers litter the floor along with fairy lights and there are bodies, corpses really, littering the ground. Children are crying with one another and two of Aoi's friends are hugging each other, tears streaming down their faces. Senju Tsunade and Hatake Sakumo, they are seven years old and they are surrounded by the dead. 

None of the bodies have pink hair and for that Misaki is glad but she is also scared, her youngest child isn't in the see of sitting children who are talking with one another at fast rates. Misaki sees a woman that she knows is Uzumaki Mito and she all but runs at the woman, fear tugging her heartstrings, "Uzumaki-Hime!"

Mito turns to look at the woman that called her name and is almost surprised at the sight of red hair and greens eyes, "Can I help you?"

"Y-yes," Misaki stutters out, "My name is Haruno Misaki, this party was being held for my daughter Aoi. I just got here and I don't know what happened, do you know where Aoi is?"

Mito stares at Misaki and takes in her appearance, her red hair is long and falls around her face some of the strands are falling into her face but she's too worried to notice them. Her green eyes are wide and she has the tell-tale sign of make-up underneath her eyes. Her dress, while it looks well taken care of is a bit frayed at the sleeves and Mito knows that she has owned the dress for a while. 

"Haruno-San," Mito starts, glancing at the family of seven before returning her gave to Misaki, "I think you and your family should come inside."

Misaki makes a confused sound before smiling, "Uzumaki-Hime, please, you just have to tell me that my daughter's alright. That's all you have to do, right?"

Mito grimaces before putting a hand on the small of Misaki's back, she guides Misaki past the groups of children and the crying Tsunade and Sakumo. She leads the group of seven into the living room where multiple other adults, mostly those who are wounded or pregnant, are gathered.

"Your daughter has been taken by rogue Iwagakure shinobi. My husband, your Hokage, has gathered multiple parties of able shinobi to search for your daughter, Orochimaru, and the opposing Iwagakure Shinobi," Mito paused, standing in front of a table she stared down at the map of the forest that was splayed across the aforementioned table, "We believe that the Iwagakure shinobi will be unable to reach the border before dawn meaning they will be unable to pass through undetected," Her finger traced the map's edge, "Though right now instead of worrying over Aoi I have questions for all of you," Her sharp, pupilless eyes snapped to the Haruno family, "Why does Haruno Aoi have my husbands kekkei genkai?"

Misaki inhaled sharply while Souma tensed, his eyes widening immediately. Niko and Hoki shifted awkwardly while Kohaku frowned in confusion. Mio rose her eyebrows, confusion flickering over her face and it was Rei who spoke with heavy words, "My daughter, sweet Misaki, had gone to the Tenshi-Bā down in the red light district for her friends birthday party. That night she would get drunk and have a night of pleasure with one Senju Tobirama. A week later Misaki would realize that she was pregnant and she would raise the child as if it wasn't a mistake, a stain on her families name. I always thought abortion would've been better, and look, I was right, Aoi has brought this family nothing more than ruin and danger!"

"Mother!" Misaki gasped, her eyes wide with horror, "How could you say such a thing about your granddaughter? She's still my child she's still—"

"Quiet yourself Misaki! You have made far to many mistakes in your life, you obviously know nothing as you can't seem to fix your mistakes! Leave the girl to rot in the woods, let her stay! If she comes back she will not be welcomed by the Haruno Clan!" Rei scowled, her green eyes narrowed, "That child is a curse, a stain that must be wiped away. We will no longer host her, she is to graduate from the shinobi academy soon anyways, I'm sure she can survive until then."

Mio stood up with a scowl, "I am the clan head here mother, and you will not kick my niece out of the clan! I forbid it!"

Rei glared at Mio, "Sit yourself down foolish girl, or I will involve our clan elders and they can decide on what happens. You know they will choose death for the girl, it's either banishment or execution. You can choose her fate dear daughters."

Rei stood and walked away, leaving the room to their thoughts. Rei knew she was being cruel, but Aoi was a danger to the Haruno clan, and dangers must always be dealt with.

even now they can not accept change.