Chapter 6

The Group

"I'm sorry about Lee... I Had a father figure to. His name was Joel Miller. Its funny, really he was supposed to smugly me out of the city and delivery me to the fireflies. On top of that he did not like me one bit."

"Why? "Carl asked intrigued in the stories everyone was telling. Compared to his dull life with always being protected he liked listing to their lives.

"I was ...different then other people." Ellie looked up unsure if she should tell them. "I don't know how but...I was immune to the virus." She rolled up her sleeve to show the bite mark on her right arm.

"Holy Shit..." Clem exclaimed in shock.

"so, what you're saying is that you're a cure?" Carl questioned in disbelief.

"Yea, I know I'm a freak, but that's why he needed to get me to fireflies, so they can experiment on me and cure this world. Joel wasn't so fond of me in the begging, but he got used to me and started to treat me like his own. It was nice to have someone be there, and have your back, to be loved. Joel had finally gotten me to the lab in Washington, and that's all I remember until I woke up in a car with Joel telling me they had others with the cure and didn't need me anymore."

"What happened to Joel?"

"Joel had lied about them having others with the cure. I was the only one, and to achieve a cure they wanted to take pieces from my brain."

"That would have killed you!?" Clem exclaimed.

"I know that's why Joel lied. He wanted me to live a life of my own choice even at the cost of the world. Only one problem with that, the fireflies. They had chased us down to get me back. I didn't want to go back, I wanted to stay with Joel, to be happy. But it was just a fairy tale, they had us trap at a ranch contained with Walkers. Joel smiled and told me to be happy and he sacrificed his life for mine. Callus and I where a good distance away from the ranch, it had gone up in flames. The walkers, the fireflies, and Joel where engulfed in the fire. After the fire died down I searched everywhere to find him, alive. Life was cruel, he was gone and all that was left was a watch he always carried. I took it and said my goodbyes."

"I'm sorry, Ellie." Carl said as he looked into the fire lost in thought.

"Can you cure people then, before they turn into a Walker?" Clem asked.

"Maybe, I don't know." It was quiet, for what felt like hours. The younger kids where sound asleep in the tent that Ellie had, the horses where resting, and the teens where lost in thought before Carl looked up at the girls.

"Come with us Clem join my group?" Carl said with certainty  in his voice.

"I don't think so I'm not really a people person." Clem said. Ellie and Carl started to laugh. Clem faced turned a shade a red, not sure if it was something she said, or they were just crazy.

"Sorry for laughing its just, Ellie said the same thing. Trust me you will fit in." and with that they went to bed one on look out each four hours long until sunrise.