Happy Birbday

"Kotori is always a hardworking individual people would admire. I remember I was one of them, taking a liking to her pure smile at first. Then I explored her character more without knowing it. Her determination to write lyrics, her huge aptitude for fashion, drawing costumes, her supportiveness of her friends, and even the other sides people do not know... As I got to know her more in time, my delight in seeing her grew of out control.

We were just friends until my last archery tournament before quitting for entrance exams. After our club's victory, Kotori and I had a chance to talk alone in the school's courtyard. An unbreakable silence surrounded us as our desire to say a word was caught in our throats. Both of us were awkward, nervous and in love. And then suddenly, Kotori mustered up her courage and confessed to me, making my heart fly out of my chest. That was the first time I felt and thought that someone has become more precious than anything in my life.

To protect her at all costs, to wake up everyday to see her smile one more time, to love her... Kotori, my significant other, thank you for become a part of my life with Honoka, and happy birthday!'' – Umi Sonoda

--

''...And finished!'' said the blue-haired girl, putting the last candle on the cheesecake. She smiled brightly. ''Phew! Now we only need to put this cake in the fridge just a bit, then light the candles when your mother comes back from her work.''

Honoka was sitting on her baby seat, looking out of curiosity to understand what her papa was making this entire time. ''Papa, what is this cake for?''

Umi looked down at her knowingly, her hand on her chin. ''Today is your mother's birthday, Honoka!''

Honoka was surprised to see Umi excessively affected by the emotion of pure excitement. It seemed as if it was one of those rare moments when Umi has eaten her fill of manjuu. Of course, her mama's birthday was also wonderful news to excite her.

''Oh!!''

Umi put her index finger to her own lips. ''But you've to be quite if you want to surprise her.'' Then Honoka did the same gesture and made her papa laugh for a short while. ''I want you to talk with her while I'm getting her cheesecake here, alright?''

Honoka nodded. Umi kissed her head, then went off to put the cake into the fridge.

As the doorbell rang, Umi had sprinted that flared up her face. Kotori came back home with a pile of bags in both of her hands. ''Welcome home, Kotori.'' Umi said as she took the bags gently from her. ''Honoka is waiting, she wants to say something.'' Without Kotori noticing, Umi signed Honoka to distract her.

''HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAMA!''

Umi facepalmed, but she needed to keep going before another mission has failed! As a perfect papa and husband, her book couldn't speak of any reckless action and failure.

''Papa made you a cake!''

But...

''A cheesecake you like!''

Kotori, what Honoka understands is only food and idol figures?

''And she said 'tonight I want to feel her love- '''

''H-H-Honoka!'' Umi was the definition of red and embarrassed right now. ''W-wa-wait, when did you hear- how? I-It's not like that.''

Kotori put her hand to her mouth, giving a healthy laugh. She loved seeing her family members in such theatrical play. She quickly turned her eyes to the red-faced girl. ''Umm... Umi-chan are you ok?''

No answer came.

''We can eat the cheesecake you've made for me, dear,'' Kotori said softly, cupping her face. She gave a quick kiss on her lips. ''Teehee. Happy birthday to me!'' She stuck out of her tongue at her.

In the end, Kotori blew out the candles and wished.

I wish my every day to be filled with lots of love, laughter, happiness, and the warmth of sunshine with Umi-chan and Honoka-chan.

Omake

''So we have to take Honoka right now?... Ok, I'm coming with Nozomi.'' Eli hanged up the phone right after she had talked with Umi. ''Isn't today Kotori's birthday?''

Nozomi nodded. ''Kotori-chan told me they've already celebrated it together.''

''So, what? Honoka is a good kid, why do they want this anyway?''

Nozomi would pray for her wife's denseness. She cleared her throat before speaking. ''Don't you know what birthday sex is, Elichi?''

''Oh.''

Nozomi snorted as Eli buried herself in her pillow.