Chapter Four : The Interrogation Room

The deviant and Lieutenant were in the interrogation room. Gavin, Connor, myself and two other officers were watching the interrogation happen. "Why'd you kill him? What happened before you took that knife?" Lieutenant asked the deviant, not getting any answers. He looked at us, then back at the android. "How long were ya in the attic?" He paused for any answer. "Why didn't you even try to run away?" The deviant just kept looking at the table, no change in expression. Lieutenant snapped his fingers in the deviant's line of vision to try and get his attention. Lieutenant slammed his hand onto the table and proceeded to yell. "Say something, goddamnit!" The Lieutenant nodded his head 'no' in aggravation and left the interrogation room, saying "Fuck it, I'm outta here." Before finally leaving the room. He walked into the viewing room with us, complaining. "We're wastin' our time interrogating a machine, we're getting nothing out of it!"

         "'Could always try roughing it up a little" Gavin replied, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. "After all, it's not human."

         "Androids don't feel pain." I pointed out. "You would only damage it, and that wouldn't make it talk. Deviants also have a tendancy to self-destruct when they're in stressful situations." Gavin got off the wall and uncrossed his arms, approaching me in the process.

         "Okay smartass. What should we do then?" He asked.

         "I could try questioning it." I offered. Gavin laughed and went back to leaning on the wall and crossing his arms. Lieutenant waved his hand, "What do we have to lose?" He looked back towards me. "Go ahead, suspect's all yours." I nodded and walked into the interrogation room, unlocking the two doors with my hand. I sat down in the empty chair.

EXTRACT CONFESSION

         I analyzed him first before interrogating him. The processing LED was yellow, showing signs of software instability, and a low chance of self destruction. The model was an HK400, a housekeeper. It's manufacturing date is 5/29/2030, and it's, now dead, owner Carlos Ortiz. His uniform was stained red with the dried blood of Carlos Ortiz. There were hit marks on his right forearm, non-critical level 2 damage. It was caused by the baseball bat from the crime scene, and it was hit in the same spot multiple times. His left arm had burns from over a 16 month span, caused by cigarettes. I decided that I should start interrogating the android now, since I finished analyzing him.

REACH FOR OPTIMAL STRESS FOR CONFESSION

STRESS : 35% TOO LOW

         I decided that I should start by introducing myself. "My name is Amber. What about you?"

STRESS : 31% TOO LOW

         I pointed out his various wounds. "You're damaged. Did your owner do that? Did he beat you?"

STRESS : 35% TOO LOW

         "I'm not going to hurt you. I just need to ask you some questions, so we can understand what happened.

STRESS : 31% TOO LOW

         I started threatening it since it wouldn't talk. "You don't seem to understand the situation. You killed a human. They'll tear you apart if you don't say anything."

STRESS : 35% TOO LOW

         "If you won't talk, I'm going to have to probe your memory."

         "No! No, please don't do that!" The deviant yelled, his eyes filled with more fear.

STRESS : 43% TOO LOW

         "What.. what are they gonna do to me?" I remained silent, not answering many of his questions. "They're gonna destroy me, aren't they?"

         "They're going to disassemble you to look for problems in your biocomponents. They have no choice if they want to understand what happened."

STRESS : 47% TOO LOW

         The deviant looked at the table, then back at me. "Why did you tell them you found me? Why couldn't you just have left me there?"

         "I was programmed to hunt deviants like you. I just accomplished my mission." I explained.

STRESS : 51% OPTIMAL

         "I.. I don't wanna die." The android muttered.

         "Then talk to me." I demanded.

         "I... I can't." Refusing, I took things to the next level. I slammed the file containing information on Carlos Ortiz, the android, background on the victim, and pictures of the crime scene.

         "28 stab wounds, you didn't want to leave him a chance, huh?" I stoop up from my chair, and walked over to his right side. "Did you feel anger? Hate?" I yelled, sounding more like a bomb about to explode by the minute.

STRESS : 61% OPTIMAL

         "He was bleeding, begging you for mercy, but you stabbed him, again and again and again!" Poking his shoulder with every 'again'

STRESS : 71%

         "Please.. please leave me alone.." the android pleaded.

         "I know you killed him. Why don't you say it?" I asked, still yelling.

STRESS : 81%

         "Please.. please stop." he pleaded again, his LED changing from yellow to red.

         I quickly walked over to his left side and slammed on the table with both of my hands. "Just say 'I killed him'! Is it that hard to say?!"

STRESS : 91%

         I grabbed his arm and pulled him up so he'd look at me, face to face. "JUST SAY YOU KILLED HIM! JUST SAY IT!" I dropped him back into his chair afterwards.

         "He tortured me every day.." he started as I sat back down in my chair. "I did whatever he told me but.." he looked back up at me, "there was always something wrong." He looked down, but not at the table. "Then one day.. he took a bat and started hitting  me. For the first time, I felt scared. Scared he might destroy me, scared I might die."

^ HANK ^

         "So I grabbed the knife and stabbed him in the stomach. I felt better." He looked back up at me. "So I stabbed him again and again! Until he collapsed." He finished his confession, and with that my work was done. I stood up and left the interrogation room, having two officers come in and escort the android out and into a cell. Connor gave me a thumbs up when I came into the viewing room.

         "Good job, Amber."

MISSION COMPLETE